Students expand SBP power

Students expanded the power of the student body presidency Tuesday, when an overwhelming majority voted in favor of an amendment to the Student Code.

The referendum, supported by almost 84 percent of the 6,658 students who voted on the change, allows the student body president to appoint new executive branch officials if old members resign. Members of Student Congress still must approve the student body president’s decision.

“It should just help things go more smoothly,” Student Body President Matt Calabria said. “It is really there to allow student government to continue the job they’ve been doing.”

The new referendum will provide many benefits, said Charlie Anderson, speaker of Congress.

“It will make midyear transitions a lot more efficient,” he said. “Ideally, you want someone to stay in the position all year, but when situations come up, you don’t want to lose momentum.”

The previous process of replacing Cabinet members involved an extensive, time-consuming schedule of setting up applications, interviews and decision meetings, Anderson said.

“When you have to get a lot of really busy people involved, it really slows things down,” he said.

After Bernard Holloway resigned from his post as student body secretary last fall, it took a month before James Allred stepped into the position — leaving a gap in the executive branch.

Members of Congress worked to revise the Code last fall, and the referendum was included on the ballot to make the changes official.

Calabria said the change was long overdue.

“It’s a rule that just seems to make sense,” he said. “It probably should have been added a long time ago.”

Calabria said Congress usually defers to the student body president in situations such as those provided for in the referendum.

“(The referendum) strengthens the check that the student body president has over Student Congress,” he said.

Calabria said that although the new policy is useful, he doesn’t foresee a large number of Cabinet members resigning in the future.

“Hopefully, this is something that won’t be used much, if ever,” he said.

Despite the amendment's approval, 1,088 of the 6,658 respondents voted against it.

Anderson tried to allay any concerns about possible negative effects of the referendum but said the chances of approving appointees who have little experience now is greater.

“The initial concern is that you don’t want the student body president to get into office and start appointing their friends,” he said. “You want someone who can do the job, but that’s why the selection committee is there.”

Anderson said that if any negative implications exist, they do not outweigh the benefits of the policy change. He said the student body president needs the new power to have a capable administration.

“They need to pick someone they can work with and someone with the skill set for the job.”