Texas seeks to delay birthday celebrations

A bill in the Texas legislature proposes to push the state’s drinking age back seven hours — an eternity to those wishing to celebrate their 21st birthday.

Critics say the delay won’t stop people from finding ways to get drunk, but supporters say the cause is important enough to take up.

Texas Rep. Rob Eissler, R-Montgomery, penned the bill after learning of the death of Michael Wagener, a student at Texas A&M University. Wagener died after drinking heavily on his 21st birthday, and his mother’s grief spurred Eissler’s action.

The bill would prohibit liquor sales on the day a person turns 21 until 7 a.m., or until noon if the birthday falls on a Sunday.

Fellow Texas Rep. Tony Goolsby, R-Dallas, said constitutional law will prevent the bill from being passed.

“The law says when you’re 21, you can do certain things. That’s the law — whether you’re 21 by a second, a day, or a week,” he said. “I think it’s ridiculous, and I’ll vote against it.”

But a similar bill passed through the North Dakota Senate last Wednesday and is on its way to the state House for review.

Critics charge that barring people from drinking for those seven hours would be difficult.

“If someone so enamored with alcohol, feels it is such an important part of their life, they would find a way to get it anyway,” said Earl Dodge, national chairman of the Prohibition Party.

N.C. Sen. Stan Bingham, R-Davidson, said alcohol-related fatalities from 21st birthday celebrations have not garnered statewide attention. “I have never heard of such a thing until right now,” he said.

Bingham said passing such a bill might be possible. “(But) until you identify the problem, you cannot remedy it,” he said.

Matt Hodler, a bartender at Carolina Coffee Shop, said such a law would have little to no impact.

“If the person wants to get drunk, they are going to do it anyway,” he said.

Legislative efforts to curb binge drinking are hardly a new trend, and many previous attempts have proved fruitless.

Goolsby admitted that he tried to pass a bill to cut down binge drinking a few years ago but could not get it passed.

“I think we’ve proved pretty well you can’t legislate these laws,” he said.

“(Eissler) needs to go find some legitimate legislation to sponsor.”

Contact the State & National Editor at stntdesk@unc.edu