The British are coming

Locals don coats for re-enactment of Revolutionary War

Correction
Due to a reporting error, the photo caption accompanying the Feb. 21 article “The British are coming” stated that the photo depicted a Revolutionary War re-enactment in Carrboro. The event actually took place in Hillsborough.

Muskets fired, red coats were sighted and drumbeats echoed in Hillsborough as British forces set up camp — on Saturday.

Time was turned back to the year 1781 at the Alexander Dickson House in downtown Hillsborough on Saturday, as three Revolutionary War re-enactment groups recreated British Gen. Lord Cornwallis’ encampment of the town.

Re-enactors educated spectators on the camp life of Loyalist and British soldiers in the ways of dress, weaponry, drills and everyday chores.

Members of the King’s Own Patriots portrayed Loyalist soldiers, and members of the 33rd and 64th regiments of foot represented British soldiers.

Diane Hogan of Graham, who brought her grandson to the re-enactment, praised it for bringing “living history” to young people.

“When you see this, it makes an impression on you,” Hogan said. “It gives you an appreciation for your roots and how your forefathers lived.”

Jeff Durst — education and interpretation specialist of the Alliance for Historic Hillsborough, the event’s sponsor — expressed similar ideas.

“It’s a great experience for people of all ages,” he said.

Re-enactors demonstrated marching drills, tent-pitching, fire-building and musket-firing.

Zach Smoak, 10, of Greensboro, said these demonstrations gave him an appreciation for the ease of modern life.

“It takes more time for them to do stuff — especially the fire-building,” he said.

Soldier re-enactors were also available to answer attendees’ questions about the meanings of different parts of their uniforms, the workings of their weapons and historical details concerning the Revolutionary War in general.

David Snyder of Efland, a re-enactor, encouraged spectators to ask questions because of the prevalence of myths concerning the Revolution.

“A lot of misconceptions are passed down, partly because of the ways in which the war is covered in schools, and also because of the way that it’s covered in Hollywood,” he said.

Denise Crosson of Raleigh said she was surprised to learn that Hillsborough was a center for Loyalist support.

Her husband, Jack Crosson, agreed.

“As Americans, we tend to think everyone was behind the revolution. But that wasn’t the case,” he said.

Cornwallis came to Hillsborough in February 1781 because he thought he might be able to enlist new soldiers in his army, as he had heard the town was an area of Loyalist support.

But few Loyalists volunteered, and Cornwallis left town after about eight days.

Because of its briefness, there was no lasting impact of the British occupation, Durst said.

But, according to town legend, Cornwallis busied his army by paving King Street, he said.

After leaving Hillsborough, Cornwallis and his army headed to Guilford Courthouse, located in present-day Greensboro. Although the British did win this battle, it weakened the troops before the ultimate defeat in Yorktown, Va., the following October.

The re-enactment of the Battle of Guilford Courthouse — the biggest Revolutionary War re-enactment in North Carolina — will be held from March 8 to 13.