A coach's hoop dreams

Real-life 'Coach Carter' praises responsibility

Just hours after the men’s basketball team departed from campus, students welcomed a hoops legend to the University.

Coach Ken Carter — who made national news in 1999 when he locked out his inner-city high school basketball team after members failed to meet his academic standards — gave an animated speech to an audience of almost 100 campus and community members Wednesday night in Hill Hall Auditorium.

“My speech will be like a lady’s dress, long enough to cover all the basics but short enough to keep your interest,” he said.

Recently, MTV and Paramout Pictures turned Carter’s story of hard work and dedication into a major motion picture: “Coach Carter,” featuring Samuel L. Jackson.

Carter’s speech focused on the importance of family and personal responsibility. Carter said that in order to be successful, one must have accountability, integrity, teamwork and leadership skills.

“Eighty percent of success is showing up,” he said. “There is a reason you guys showed up tonight. You’re searching for something.”

He reminded his audience to remember its past and retain its values while working to accomplish its life goals.

“One thing I want you to take from this lecture is that being kind and respectful will simply never go out of style,” he said.

Carter said his family’s influence helped shape his character and encouraged him to stay strong in the face of adversity.

“My seven sisters validated my ability to be successful,” he said. “Ladies have played an important part in my life, because women will tell the truth.”

Carter said the audience was full of future leaders of the world. Education will provide students with the foundation for a successful future, he said. “You don’t get paid by the hour but by what you bring to the hour,” he said. “That’s why you are here at college — investing in yourself.”

During the meet-and-greet after his speech, Carter decided to have a little bit of fun based on the film bearing his name.

He insisted that two students who hadn’t viewed “Coach Carter” do 10 pushups before he would sign autographs — and gave them $10 each for their hard work.

Throughout the movie, Jackson’s character required members of the team to do pushups if they broke his rules.

The speech was organized by the Campus Y and sponsored by other campus organizations, including the Carolina Athletic Association and the Office of Greek Affairs.

Campus Y President Elizabeth Sonntag said she thought Carter would provide students with inspiration to push the limits.

“We thought he had a lot to contribute to our community,” she said. “As a large organization, we felt that we had a commitment to the students to bring someone with a big name.”

Carter left his audience with a message of empowerment.

“If you plant your seed in fertile ground, you will blossom. This campus is fertile ground.”