After fire, staff rallies for repairs

After a fire at a local women and children’s shelter last week, the shelter’s staff is scrambling to repair the damage done to the lives of families affected by the flames.

The fire, caused by an aerosol can accident, occurred March 21 at one of the buildings of the Inter-Faith Council’s Homestart shelter, located at 2505 Homestead Road.

Since the night of the crisis, IFC staff has been busy maintaining the welfare of the four mothers and nine children affected by the fire.

“I think staff is stretched beyond stretching” said Natalie Ammarell, former president of the IFC and current chairwoman of strategic planning and development.

The staff is still planning how to restructure and finance repairs.

“We’ve got a pretty good structure in place.” said Kristin Lavergne, IFC programs director. “The things that have needed to happen have happened.”

The shelter has insurance that Lavergne said she hopes will cover most repair costs, including a replacement of the structure’s roof.

Families that lived in the building will move to the two other structures on the property next week.

The families have been temporarily housed at an undisclosed hotel while repair crews sort through the rubble.

The move to the two remaining buildings will reduce shelter capacity until the reconstructed building is ready in six months.

“It’s really hard because these families were struggling already,” said Mandy Morgan, social worker for the affected families, adding that the hotel situation has caused further problems for the families.

“The moms are dealing with the sheer size of the loss, and the kids are high-energy and don’t have anywhere to play at the hotel,” she said.

But the staff is working to keep life as normal as possible for them.

Friday, after an Easter egg hunt at the Carolina Inn, the children frolicked around the shelter in face paint and bright orange T-shirts.

“(The kids) are very resilient,” said Laurie Williamson, the Homestart program coordinator. “They’ve maintained a sense of humor about it.”

The relocation budget for the men’s shelter at 100 W. Rosemary St. will not go to repairs, IFC Executive Director Chris Moran said.

He said so far the IFC has collected about $2,100 in donations to help replace women’s lost belongings.

The shelter is always in need of volunteers, especially during hard times, she added, and University students always have a positive affect on the shelter and the children.

Anyone interested in volunteering may call Laurie Williamson at 932-6025.