Campus briefs

Hyde named new member of University governing board

The UNC system’s Board of Governors recently appointed Barbara Rosser Hyde of Memphis, Tenn., to a four-year term on UNC-Chapel Hill’s governing board.

Hyde, a 1983 graduate of UNC-CH, will be sworn in during the UNC-CH Board of Trustees meeting July 27 and 28. Hyde will begin her term July 1, filling the vacancy left by Philip Carson of Asheville.

Since 1993, Hyde has served as president of the J.R. Hyde III Family Foundation and director of the J.R. Hyde Sr. Foundation — organizations that work to support education and civil rights.

From 1987 to 1992, Hyde served as the executive director of the Arts and Sciences Foundation at UNC-CH. She now acts as a co-chairwoman of the Women’s Leadership Council in the Carolina First Campaign.

Paul Fulton Jr. of Winston-Salem, Karol Mason of Atlanta and Nelson Schwab III of Charlotte all were approved for reappointment by the BOG and also will be sworn in during the July meeting.

Board of Trustees approves allocation for scholarships

The UNC Board of Trustees overwhelmingly passed last week a motion to allocate 25 percent of revenues from trademark licensing to merit-based scholarships. Administrators hope the scholarships will attract top high school seniors to UNC.

The revenue will fund 55 scholarships for in-state students at $2,500 a year and five scholarships for out-of-state students at $15,000 a year, and students can renew their scholarship each year. The scholarships will be made available next fall.

University police charge local man with trespassing

University police arrested a Chapel Hill man Thursday afternoon and charged him with second-degree trespassing, according to police reports.

Reports state that arrest of Richard Sty, 28, stemmed from an incident in which Sty and 28-year-old Chapel Hill resident Randy Craig Wright chased Christopher Raul-Lopez Lovaino down West Rosemary Street.

According to reports, the chase followed a fight among the three, and Wright pulled out a knife during the altercation, but Lovaino did not press charges. Wright also was issued a trespass warning.

Sty was released on written promise to appear in the Orange County District Criminal Court in Hillsborough.