Campus briefs and calendar

Student Congress approves $7,000 to bring in Begala

Student Congress voted Tuesday night to appropriate $7,000 to the UNC Young Democrats to help bring Paul Begala, a former host of CNN’s “Crossfire,” to campus.

This amount marked an increase from the $2,529 originally on the table Tuesday.

Rep. Parker Wiseman said Begala should receive the same level of funding as previous special interest speakers such as Alan Keyes and Ann Coulter.

The Federalist Society funded a majority of conservative pundit Ann Coulter’s $25,000 honorarium when she spoke last year, but not without the help of $6,747.50 in student fees.

Last fall, Congress approved allocating $7,000 to sponsor a speech by Alan Keyes, a Republican who ran for president in 2000.

“He’s high profile enough that it’s worth it for us to spend this,” Wiseman said of Begala.

Calendar

Today — Applications are due for co-chairman positions for 17 Campus Y committees. Applications and committee descriptions are available at http://campus-y.unc.edu.

Today — The General Alumni Association is sponsoring a send-off for the men’s basketball team at 5:30 p.m. at Entry D of the Smith Center. The team will depart for the next round of the NCAA Tournament at 6 p.m.

Today — Terry Maguire, director of the Mediterranean Media Center, will speak on the future of media relations between different regions of the Mediterranean at 5 p.m. at the University Center for International Studies

Today — “Women Behind the Lines,” a film documenting the 1969 UNC food service workers’ strike, will be screened at 7 p.m. in Hanes Art Center auditorium.

Following the half-hour film, key participants from the strike will discuss the event. UNC’s Campaign for Historical Accuracy and Truth is sponsoring the event.

Today — Dr. Barry Levy, former president of the American Public Health Association, will speak on war and public health at 7 p.m. in 1301 McGavran-Greenberg Hall. The talk is sponsored by the Student Global Health Council.

— From staff reports.