City briefs

Local Quiz Bowl team ranked first among state groups

The sixth-grade Quiz Bowl team from Culbreth Middle School recently became state champions.

The team had a spring score of 713, which bested its January score by 84 points. The team is now ranked first out of the 13 quiz-bowl teams in the state.

The students practiced on computers during their lunch periods and competed using CDs with curriculum-based contest questions.

Carrboro event to feature Southern documentaries

Carrboro will offer Southern Exposure, a program of two documentary films about the South at 7:30 p.m. today.

The event will include “Facing the White Canvas,” which is about Chapel Hill painter Maud Gatewood and features David Kasper. Kasper won the 1992 Academy Award for best documentary feature for his film “The Panama Deception.”

Also shown will be “Vernon Florida,” an Errol Morris film about a Southern town and its residents. Admission is $3 to $8.

Celebration to highlight Polish culture this weekend

The Polish American Club of the Triangle will host a celebration of Polish culture this weekend. The event will consist of a celebration Saturday and a film festival and art exhibit Sunday.

The cultural celebration Saturday — to be held from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. at St. Francis of Assisi School at 11401 Leesville Road in Raleigh — will feature Polish food, music and dance, as well as children’s activities.

The film festival will kick off at noon in UNC’s Hanes Art Center auditorium. “Segment 76” will begin at 1:30 p.m., and “Squint Your Eyes” will start at 4 p.m.

Admission to both events is free, but event organizers say a donation is appreciated at the film festival.