Crowd dives into lakes

Boaters and fishers alike took advantage of the reopening of local lakes Saturday — despite the cold weather and overcast skies.

University Lake and the Cane Creek Reservoir, which reopened for the season, are the biggest sources of water in the area and are popular places for people to fish, canoe, picnic and just relax.

Even with the absence of picnickers and others who might have been deterred by the dismal weather conditions at University Lake, the turnout was almost as high as expected.

“It’s been pretty busy,” said Assistant Lake Warden Brandon Linthicum.

“Everyone who was kicked out during the winter and regular customers can come back.”

More than 80 people came out for the reopening, he estimated.

Bruce Urashima, a Hawaiian native living in the area, said fishing at the lake gave his 4-year-old son, Chas, an opportunity to experience what he did as a child.

“We come four times a year to let him fish,” Urashima said of his son. “We come primarily to fish, sometimes rent a boat, just anything to make it an adventure for my son.”

Chas, who said he’s gone fishing many times, explored the rocky shoreline while “fishing.”

Many boaters and fishers, undeterred by the chilly weather, said the overcast skies were better, especially for fishing.

“Your hands get cold, but otherwise you’re fine,” said Fred Dixon of Chapel Hill. He added that he came to the lake mostly to relax and get away from home.

Michigan natives Kevin Merrill and Dave Monroe said they thoroughly enjoyed the weather.

“The weather is great, much better than snow and warmer than Michigan,” Merrill said.

But while some said the cold weather would not affect fishing conditions, others were less optimistic.

“Cold weather slows down fishing a lot,” said Cary resident Jeff Kulley, though he added that the lake in general seems good for bass fishing.

Linthicum said that the lake usually sees fewer people on rainy days, but that the numbers will double during midsummer, when weather conditions improve.

Fees for most lake equipment, including boats, were waived Saturday in honor of Lightning Brown, a former board member of the Orange Water and Sewer Authority who died of AIDS.

University Lake, located in Carrboro off Jones Ferry Road, is open from 6:30 a.m. to 6 p.m. Friday through Monday.

Cane Creek Reservoir, located off N.C. 54 about eight miles from Carrboro Plaza, is open from 6:30 a.m. to 6 p.m. Thursday through Saturday and from 1 p.m. to 6 p.m. Sunday.