Cuts in budget could hurt UNC research status

UNC’s libraries could face tough cuts in the coming months, and officials say they could be forced to take measures of last resort.

The facilities could face reductions in book and research journal purchases, hours of operation, work forces — and even heating during the winter.

The cuts would come as a result of a potential 4 percent budget cut from the state, which would amount to more than $16.3 million campuswide.

If the N.C. General Assembly approves the reductions, the library system would be affected for the first time in at least five years, hindering education and research.

Concern that the cuts might affect the libraries came on the heels of Chancellor James Moeser’s comments during last week’s meeting of the Board of Trustees.

“We will not be able to fully protect the library collections,” Moeser said during the meeting.

Many fear that cuts in book and journal purchases would affect both learning and research at the University.

A reduction of the library’s budget is unlikely but could be on the horizon, said Judith Wegner, chairwoman of the faculty.

“Right now we are figuring out what it would look like if we had to do that,” she said. “There are only a limited number of places to cut costs.”

If the system cannot afford certain publications in the coming year, it might not be able to buy old editions the next year, said University librarian Sarah Michalak.

“That would be a very serious budget cut,” she said. “If they do, it will be a sign of how very disastrous the budget cut is.”

Tony Waldrop, vice chancellor for research and economic development, said he is concerned about the effect of potential budget cuts, but he pointed out that most of the University’s money does not come from the state.

“Grant applications that the faculty writes are the single biggest source of funding for the University,” he said. “They brought in $577 million last year,” he said.

Still, he said, the state’s money is vital to the University.

“We have been cut so much over the last several years that any cut will affect the delivery of courses to our students,” Waldrop said.

UNC has faced cuts to the tune of more than $144 million — $41 million through recurring budget reductions — during the past four years.

Paul Jones, clinical professor in the School of Information and Library Science and in the School of Journalism and Mass Communication, expressed concern that a lack of resources will affect others besides students and professors.

“One of the strengths of our library has been the outreach to public schools and citizen researchers,” Jones said.

“When you buy those books, you’re investing in knowledge that ripples through the state, not just knowledge in one guy’s mind.”

Jones said he believes that having to search for resources will distract professors from completing their duties.

“How do you want professors spending their time: trying to finagle ways of getting books or actually reading those books and developing ways of teaching in the classroom?”