Kindergartners shop for entrepreneurship

'Bunnyville' provides economic lesson

Kindergarten students at McDougle Elementary School found that $1 could go a long way Tuesday, as it bought anything from a checkup to pet food.

Too bad the doctors were a little short of completing medical school.

The kindergartners showed off their skills as business leaders Tuesday while getting a crash course in economics at McDougle’s “Bunnyville.”

They worked with parents and teachers to organize the make-believe town, now in its sixth year, where students act as vendors selling goods and services to townsfolk who pay with their “bunny bucks.”

Kindergarten teacher Jennifer Rogers said the event was a way to extend the students’ education on goods and services.

“We want (the students) to learn how the community works and learn about different jobs in the community,” she said. “It’s a very basic economics lesson.”

Students acted out the role of merchants for several Bunnyville stores, including a music store, toy store, pizza parlor and ice cream shop. They charged one bunny buck for each good or service provided.

They set up their shops at tables in one of four kindergarten classrooms with signs indicating what goods or services they offered.

Students not working in a shop walked from room to room, looking to spend their bunny bucks.

Six-year-old Ali Saldana, who worked in the town doctor’s office, said she was having fun at her job.

“We’re checking people,” she said, as she pointed to a medical chart. “This is how tall they are and what their weight is.”

Six-year-old Julia Sonis played the role of town veterinarian and also sold pet supplies.

“We sell cat food and dog bones, and we have a toothbrush for dogs,” she said of her business.

Julia’s father, Jeffrey Sonis, said the experience was a great way for the kids to have fun.

“They get to act out the things they fantasize about doing when they grow up,” he said. “And interacting with lots of different people is a valuable experience for them.”

Teacher Karen Reid said the event also taught students how to respect others and make compromises.

“They didn’t really know each other,” she said. “So they had to get to know one another, discuss their businesses and get along.”

Reid said the students’ parents provided virtually everything available for students to buy.

Students also prepared for the event by reading up on community businesses in children’s stories several weeks in advance, she added.

“We read things like ‘Curious George Takes a Job’ and ‘Ice Cream Larry,’” she said.

Reid said she hopes the event had a lasting impression on the students involved.

“We’re hoping this will not be a one-time exercise but a life-lasting experience.”