Lacrosse falls to 0-2 in the ACC

COLLEGE PARK, Md. — When members of the North Carolina’s men’s lacrosse team took the field Saturday, they were hoping to re-create the success they had the last time they visited Byrd Stadium.

In that 2003 matchup, the Tar Heels pulled out a 10-6 victory, defeating the Maryland Terrapins for the first time since 1996.

Instead, UNC struggled offensively, producing only four goals on 40 shots as the Tar Heels fell to the No. 4 Terrapins 9-4.

MEN'S LACROSSE
UNC 4
Maryland 9

“They had good shooters, and that was it,” said freshman Rob Driscoll. “It’s hard to come back up from that.”

For UNC (2-5, 0-2 in the ACC), the loss was a huge blow, as the team was hoping to create some momentum following its 9-5 win against Cornell on Wednesday.

Instead, the Tar Heels found themselves struggling to get goals despite out-dueling Maryland (5-2, 1-1) in face-offs and ground balls.

“Wednesday, we came out hard and played well,” Driscoll said. “Today, we didn’t come out like that, and we were just making little mistakes that led to what happened.”

UNC was stymied early and often by a stingy Maryland defense that allowed only one goal in the first half and only 15 shots.

“They were pressuring us with the longpoles, and they looked good,” said senior goaltender Paul Spellman. “We started to lose our composure a little bit in between the lines on the offensive end and gave them some extra possessions.”

Maryland goaltender Harry Alford said the Terrapins had spent much of the week preparing a strategy for dealing with UNC’s attack, and that translated into success Saturday.

“We worked really hard in practice to try and emulate what (UNC’s attackers) do,” he said. “We kept our sticks on their gloves and did our best.”

But while Maryland’s defensive strategy was key to its victory, Driscoll pointed out that much credit should go to Alford, who finished the game with an impressive 20 saves.

“That goalie made so many saves,” he said. “Everywhere we shot it, he was making saves. Second half, we stepped it up, but their goalie just kept them in the game.”

Both teams strived to dictate the game’s tempo early in the game, as both teams ran a ball-control offense. At half, Maryland led 3-1, but the teams had combined for only 31 shots.

The tempo picked up in the third quarter with UNC striking first, closing Maryland’s lead to 3-2. But the Terrapins responded quickly, scoring two goals to expand their lead to 5-2.

Alford helped maintain that lead, making 12 of his 20 saves in third quarter.

UNC rallied early in the fourth quarter, keyed by goals by Driscoll and Ryan Blair to cut the score to 5-4.

But Maryland was able to put the game away for good, scoring four goals in just over four minutes to go up 9-4.

“It kills us,” Driscoll said. “They buried us late, and it’s hard to come back from that.”

The Tar Heels will now have a week to prepare for next Saturday’s showdown with No. 1 John’s Hopkins, a team UNC hasn’t beaten since 1994.

Coach John Haus said if the Tar Heels hope to beat the Blue Jays, they’ll have to become more cohesive.

“We’re not a team right now, and that’s our biggest problem,” he said. “And until we become a team, we’re going to struggle.”

Contact the Sports Editor at sports@unc.edu.