Law school dean picked to lead William & Mary

After six years as dean of UNC’s School of Law, Gene Nichol will leave his post to serve as the 26th president of the College of William & Mary.

Nichol will begin his new position at the Virginia school July 1. Until then, he said, he will continue to carry out his responsibilities at UNC — including raising money for the law school.

Nichol has ties to William & Mary. He first worked at the college’s law school from 1985 to 1988 as the Cutler Professor of Constitutional Law and director of the Institute of Bill of Rights Law.

Last Monday, more than 600 students, faculty and community members packed a standing-room-only auditorium at William & Mary to welcome him back.

“It was the most remarkable event I have ever seen,” said William Walker, associate vice president for public affairs at the university.

Nichol’s acceptance speech both started and concluded with standing ovations from the audience, and he was constantly interrupted with applause. “I’m excited,” Nichol said. “It’s a remarkable opportunity. But I’m immensely saddened. … My family and I are heartbroken to leave Chapel Hill.”

In a press release, Chancellor James Moeser commended William & Mary for choosing Nichol as its new president.

“Gene is deeply committed to the concept of public higher education, and the UNC School of Law has benefited greatly from his passion for public service and his visionary leadership,” he said.

During his time at the University, Nichol brought several well-known and controversial figures to speak on campus, such as conservative Ann Coulter and U.S. Supreme Court Justice Clarence Thomas.

Most recently, he led efforts to add former senator and vice presidential candidate John Edwards to the faculty.

Nichol was nominated as a candidate in UNC’s chancellor search five years ago. At the time, he had only been at the University for a year.

“I was very new on campus. My preference was to stay at the law school,” he said.

William & Mary’s nine-month search for president concluded as officials unanimously chose Nichol, a Burton Craige Professor of Law, from a list of five finalists, noting his experience and gregarious personality.

Walker said he is hopeful Nichol will strengthen both public and private support for the college. He said Nichol’s willingness and eagerness to become engaged with students is promising.

But Nichol’s political history, which includes running for U.S. Senate as a Democrat in Colorado, caused some concern among William & Mary officials.

Nichol said he would be surprised if politics did not play a role in his position. He said he plans to build strong bonds in the community, including the legislature.

Citing a love of teaching, Nichol said he plans to teach a freshman seminar on constitutional law at William & Mary.

“A small, life-changing, liberal arts experience,” Nichol said. “I look forward in being a part of that.”

Provost Robert Shelton will select an interim dean to replace Nichol, and a search committee to find a permament replacement will be formed this summer.

The University is already in the process of searching for the dean of the School of Journalism and Mass Communication. Shelton has hired nine new deans, out of 15 total, since he became provost in 2000.

The law faculty might offer suggestions to Shelton, said Gail Agrawal, senior associate dean of the law school. Students also will be involved in the process.

“We’re in a better place now than where we were six years ago,” she said. “The law school will continue to do great things.”

Agrawal said that she is sad Nichol is leaving but that the law school will continue with plans he set during his time at the University.

“I think he’s been a marvelous dean,” she said. “It’s a terrible loss. But we’ve benefited from his vision.”