In a town where thousands of college students can’t wait until Thursday night to head downtown, a new nightclub hopes to provide competition for more established destinations.

Club Kryptonite will have its grand opening March 24 in a space that has dealt with the same turnover as the rest of downtown and played host to several clubs.

The club’s 136 Rosemary St. location was the former home of Club Element and Club NV.

But co-owner Richard Parris, the former owner of the West End Martini Bar, said he is not discouraged by the location’s past business failures.

“I’m concerned with what I can do,” he said. “The location is good; you just have to know what you are doing.”

Owners say the new night spot offers something unique that will appeal to a range of consumers — those looking for a high-energy dance club and those looking for a cool, upscale environment to talk and share drinks.

The club portion — with its space-like, modern decor and green lights — opened its doors Saturday night, and owners said they reached full capacity.

Popular music and the 18-and-up admission will likely appeal to students, they say.

The membership club will also enforce a strict dress code, which includes no athletic apparel or bandanas. Problems with dress codes sparked disputes last summer at several late-night venues.

A separate lounge area, called Bedz of Kryptonite, is expected to open Saturday.

The lounge is filled with beds available to rent, much like the New York City hot spot featured in HBO’s “Sex and the City.”

European techno music and extensive martini and wine offerings will compliment the laid-back atmosphere, which owners hope will appeal to young professionals.

“It’s something different then what you are going to find on Franklin Street,” Parris said.

A unique niche might be key to the new business’ survival.

Dan Markscheid, a co-owner of the Avalon nightclub, W.B. Yeats Irish Pub and Carolina Blue Bar in Chapel Hill, has more than 20 years of experience in the nightclub and bar business.

And while Markscheid said he welcomes the new club, it might have trouble competing with more established destinations.

“(Chapel Hill is) a small place,” Markscheid said. “The amount of places that are open does not go hand in hand with the amount of people who go out.”

Also, the nighttime business climate of Chapel Hill is not active every day and lulls during the summer, which could make it hard to make profits, Markscheid added.

Parris said that he expects to see a drop-off in business during the summer, but he is optimistic about the club’s potential to attract customers.

“We’re really excited,” said Viggy Struna, a co-owner.

“There are a lot of good people around here.”