Planners get a look at homeless shelter

Before the Hillsborough Planning Board allows homeless shelters inside town limits, town officials want to tour other shelters to understand their inner workings.

Members of the board did just that Tuesday night with the help of Inter-Faith Council Executive Director Chris Moran, who gave the group a tour of the IFC’s community kitchen and men’s shelter at 100 W. Rosemary St.

“It’s difficult to make a decision on anything when you don’t have a point of reference,” said board Chairman Paul Newton.

“I think that’s the predicament we found ourselves in.”

In February, the planning board delayed adoption of the amendment to Hillsborough’s zoning ordinance that would allow shelters within town limits.

Moran said he thinks his role in getting a homeless shelter started in Hillsborough is to point the board in the right direction. “Every shelter program that I’ve ever visited has operated differently,” he said.

Town Planning Director Margaret Hauth said she was impressed by the way the IFC shelter runs and the services it provides.

“I got an idea of what all the things are that go on inside a shelter and understand now that they’re all very different,” she said.

“This gives these folks an alternative when a lot of times their only other alternative is under the nearest pine tree.”

Hauth said that when the Hillsborough zoning ordinance was drafted, it did not include provisions for homeless shelters because of an oversight.

The omission became an issue after a number of people asked about shelters in the town and a couple from Mebane volunteered to start one.

If Hillsborough OKs shelters within its limits, the town will have to start small and work its way up to shelters that can accommodate larger numbers of people, Hauth added.

Moran said the downtown shelter has certain requirements of its residents, including that they find a job and start trying to save money.

He said that after receiving three warnings, residents lose their beds.

Hauth admitted that she had some misconceptions about how a typical homeless shelter operates before Tuesday’s tour.

“Just to get the chance to come inside kind of demystifies it,” she said. “It’s not a high school gym with cots on the floor, and it’s not a bad spot at all.”

She added that she was very surprised by the amount of food the shelter’s kitchen provides to its residents each year.

“The sheer volume that the kitchen does is insane,” she said. “I mean, 80,000 meals on $4,000 a year is just unbelievable.”

Hauth said that once the board gives its approval, the Town Board must hold another public hearing before the amendment can take effect.

The planning board will meet again next Tuesday to discuss the plan.