Pringle chips in off the bench

The night ended all too early for LaToya Pringle.

With 7:58 to go in the game, the freshman committed her fifth foul, and she headed to the North Carolina bench. The always vivacious Ivory Latta immediately jumped up to greet her teammate as the crowd rose in a standing ovation.

For a player that only scored four points in 13 minutes, it is not a common reception.

But in a game that was a defensive war of attrition, Pringle proved her worth with a career-high six blocks.

When asked about Pringle after the game, Latta’s eyes instantly lit up.

“I don’t know what to say about that girl besides she’s long,” Latta said. “She’s also a great player. All the blocks that she did, and all the help-side defense that she presents. Man, every time that girl gets in there, she plays with a lot of heart.

“Why not give her a standing ovation? She did a great job tonight.”

Pringle’s defense was a major factor in sending George Washington home in the 71-47 UNC win, but she disagreed with Latta’s assessment of her shot-blocking ability.

“My teammates say it’s because I have long arms, but it’s all about being in the right position,” Pringle said.

The forward — who only played 11 minutes a game in the regular season — was called into action when classmate Erlana Larkins went down with cramps early in the second half.

“(Pringle) was major because when Erlana went out, that could have been a big difference, but LaToya helped us out,” said UNC coach Sylvia Hatchell.

Her tough play inside was a major factor in shutting down George Washington’s two primary weapons — Anna Montañana and Jessica Simmonds.

The duo scored 31 points a game this season but chipped in a mere 13 Tuesday, shooting a combined 3-for-26 from the floor. As a team, the Colonials shot an abysmal 25 percent from the field.

North Carolina’s Camille Little was effectively able to take Montañana out of the game. The preseason All-American’s only basket came less than a minute into the first half.

Little studied tape of Montañana on her own to prepare for the matchup, and the work paid off.

“I just kept thinking to myself ‘Don’t get tired. Don’t get tired. Just stay in her hip pocket and be physical,’” Little said.

“I just watched film and watched her play and made sure I was there wherever she was trying to go.”

With the Tar Heels up by 19 with eight minutes to play, George Washington’s frustration at UNC’s physical presence hit its peak.

Pringle fouled Simmonds as she went into the basket, and the two immediately started jawing. Both players were issued technical fouls, but the incident showed the fiery side of the normally reserved Pringle.

Hatchell assured that Pringle would pay the price if she was at fault in the incident, but after the game, the freshman pled her case.

“I didn’t do nothin’,” she insisted.

Maybe so, but on defense, LaToya Pringle did everything.

Contact the Sports Editor at sports@unc.edu.