Monday, June 17, 2024 Newsletters Latest print issue

Proposed bill gives option of public finances to campaigns

Campaigning for public office in Chapel Hill could soon become financially feasible for more local residents.

A bill in the N.C. House would provide those seeking to campaign with the option of receiving public financing. The bill, which applies exclusively to Chapel Hill, would open up opportunities for residents who could not fund their own campaigns or do not have the time to seek donations.

“It would level the playing field,” said Rep. Joe Hackney, D-Orange, one of the bill’s primary sponsors.

Though the bill doesn’t require that campaigns be publicly financed, Town Council members say the funding could take campaigns’ focus off money and force them to be more driven by ideas and platforms.

“It requires candidates to run on the merits of their position and not on how much money they can raise,” said council member Jim Ward.

The bill does not require all campaigns to be equally financed, leaving candidates with the option of making the race financially competitive.

Council member Mark Kleinschmidt said the purpose of public financing is to eliminate one of the most important campaign problems: the initial cost of entry.

He considers the idea behind the bill important but disputed the urgency of the proposal.

The largest spenders haven’t always won recent town elections, he said, adding that those who spent the least also didn’t win.

“You still have to meet minimum expectations in order to get your message to the people,” Kleinschmidt said.

Critics of campaign finance reform assert that the legislation brings free speech issues into question.

Andrew Perrin, University professor of sociology, said the U.S. Supreme Court has recognized that campaigns can feature political speech.

“You have to be careful you don’t violate a candidate’s right to speak through their pocketbooks.”

But others say the proposed bill would not violate the right to free speech because candidates still have the option to raise money separate from the public funding.

Ward said the bill’s chances for passage could be hurt by those who determine whether it becomes law.

“It will be decided by people who have been elected by the current system, and they may not be eager to change the process. But I hope they would evaluate it on its merits.”

Contact the State & National Editor at stntdesk@unc.edu.

The Daily Tar Heel 2024 Orientation Guide