Rand files health care bills

Two bills filed Monday in the N.C. legislature have the potential to save the state money on health care expenditures.

The proposals, sponsored by Senate Majority Leader Tony Rand, D-Cumberland, would implement changes to the State Health Plan to provide more options for plan members and arrange for the state to receive more health care funding from the federal government.

One of the bills would allow state employees to choose from a variety of preferred provider organizations, health maintenance organizations or other optional health care providers.

Ginny Klarman, manager of compliance and member services for the State Health Plan, said the proposal is designed to save money by encouraging specific health care providers to offer discounted rates in exchange for access to the large pool of clients served by the plan.

She said the change also has potential to cut costs for members.

Doctor’s visits would only require a co-payment, rather than the co-payment and office fee that are required now.

“The idea is it would help our members afford it and actually use the plan for their primary care purposes,” Klarman said.

But some are skeptical of the measure’s feasibility.

“That would be great if it came to fruition — chances of that happening are slim,” said Suzanne Beasley, lobbyist trainee for the State Employees Association of North Carolina.

The state has explored the idea of partnering with HMOs, she said, but thus far has found none willing to participate.

“There’s just nobody out there to take on the state health plan,” Beasley said.

Rand said he was aware of the past attempt when he drafted the bill, but he thinks the result will be different this time around.

“Times change, and we hope we’ve made it more attractive,” he said.

Rand’s other bill would allow the state to begin collecting federal funds for its prescription drug program.

As part of a legislative package approved by Congress last year, the federal government will now subsidize state prescription drug coverage through a Medicare program.

Klarman said the measure would align the state with the federal program, ensuring that each state employee who has prescription drug benefits will not be forced to pay more than $3,600 per year.

“I’d be astounded if (the bill) got any resistance because it will only help us to recover significant amounts of money from the federal government,” Rand said.

“We think it might be as much as 15 million dollars. We’re afraid they won’t give us that much, but they ought to, at least.”

Facing a $1.2 billion budget shortfall, legislators are looking to cut costs wherever possible.

“We are trying to give people more choices and we’re trying also to get us in a position to help save a little money, to benefit the entire plan,” Rand said.

Contact the State & National Editor at stntdesk@unc.edu.