Researcher targets use of alcohol

The next time students are at a party, local citizens hope, recent initiatives aimed at curbing underage substance abuse will make them think twice before drinking or doing drugs.

Scott Swartzwelder, a Duke University addiction researcher, aided in that dialogue Monday when he addressed drug and alcohol abuse as part of a series sponsored by the Chapel Hill High School Drug/Alcohol Awareness Task Force.

“I’m not a preacher, I’m not a cop, I’m a scientist,” Swartzwelder told the crowd of about 30. “I am going to give you the facts.”

Focusing on alcohol, Swartzwelder discussed how the brain of someone between 10 and 25 years old is more sensitive to memory impairment because it is still developing.

He said that 46 percent of college students have experienced a blackout. Factors contributing to this problem include students’ irregular drinking patterns and their tendency to overpour their drinks.

But he pointed out that not all college students drink: About 23 percent abstain.

Parents at Monday’s discussion asked a variety of questions ranging from how addicting alcohol is compared with other drugs to the long-term ramifications of drug use.

Swartzwelder said that because the brain is still developing during adolescence, it might be vulnerable to long-term damage, although there is the possibility of recovery.

Task force members, whose mission is to address substance abuse issues in schools and in the community at large, are not alone in trying to raise awareness of the dangers of substance abuse for area teens.

The Chapel Hill-Carrboro Board of Education also started tackling the issues by passing revisions Thursday to its substance abuse and drug use policies.

“The policies incorporate consequences that impact students more,” said Kim Hoke, spokeswoman for city schools.

Violators, whether caught on or off campus, will lose their parking and off-campus dining privileges. They also will receive five days of in-school suspension and be required to attend counseling sessions.

“Taking away these privileges is one way to get students’ attention and say it won’t be tolerated,” said Stephanie Willis, city schools’ health services coordinator.

A survey conducted among city schools students last year showed that 52 percent of those surveyed consumed alcohol — 8 percentage points above the national average.

A group of community members called the Committee for Alcohol- and Drug-Free Teenagers presented the Town Council in December with a series of recommendations for limiting underage substance abuse, including tougher law enforcement and more education programs in area schools.

The council itself addressed underage drinking with its support of a law implementing a statewide keg registration policy.

The next event sponsored by the task force will be a panel discussion called “Getting Ahead of the Curve: Stopping Substance Use Before It Starts” on April 28.

The Daily Tar Heel 2024 Graduation Guide