Schools to hand in project plans

Several building projects planned for area schools might require some major funding from the county.

City and county school officials both recently approved their 10-year capital investment plans, which they were asked to give the Orange County Budget Office by Tuesday.

“This is an annual process, so each year it’s updated and another year is added,” said Kim Hoke, spokeswoman for city schools.

Top priorities listed for city schools include the construction of a new high school and elementary school, as well as the construction of a new central office — slated to open in 2010-11. The district also calls for the conversion of the Lincoln Center, its central office, into an educational facility the following year.

“These are the big new construction items,” Hoke said, adding that renovations to older facilities are also in the plans.

Steve Scroggs, city schools assistant superintendent for support services, said priorities also include ongoing renovations, particularly of facilities built in the 1960s.

County priorities include the construction of a third middle school and the relocation of the district’s alternative school program.

Renovations also are needed for existing facilities, including the unexpected replacement of a cooling tower at Grady A. Brown Elementary School, spokeswoman Anne D’Annunzio said.

While there has been discussion of changing the county’s capital funding expenditures so a smaller amount of money is allocated to both districts, Commissioner Stephen Halkiotis said he did not foresee problems for the schools.

“We have always supported the capital needs of both school systems,” he said. “We have the strongest record in the state of giving to our school systems.”

Halkiotis added that commissioners allotted extra funds to county schools for the district’s third middle school. They have made a similar commitment to city schools to cover construction cost overages on the district’s third high school.

Scroggs noted that the proposed change in the county’s capital funding expenditures — which would only provide 60 percent of capital funds to schools — is a target, not a restriction.

Schools now receive about 77 percent of the funds.

The ratio change was proposed because school districts are not the only ones who have funding needs.

Halkiotis said the county will need a new animal shelter, a new 911 center and more warehouse space, among other things.

“We’ve got a bunch of needs,” he said, adding that commissioners have delayed some of these projects for years.

Scroggs said the commissioners will now look over the priority lists and determine which requests are most needed for the county.

The county is expected to adopt next fiscal year’s budget in June.

The Daily Tar Heel 2024 Graduation Guide