Small classes might land on cutting board

Budget cuts to imperil courses

As the clock winds down on Abigail Coward’s time at UNC, course scheduling hasn’t got any easier for the junior.

Coward, an international studies major, said that even though she is an upperclassman, she still hits roadblocks such as wait lists, large class sizes and a lack of new courses when making her schedule.

“You might get into a couple classes you want, but the other classes are full,” she said. “This year, I am taking summer school classes just so I can take the classes I want.”

With the University potentially facing a 4 percent budget cut from the state, students like Coward might find even more scheduling headaches on the way.

In the wake of proposed budget reductions, University officials have formulated a contingency plan that includes cutting 200 class sections, in case UNC finds its budget slashed.

The proposed 4 percent reduction in state-appropriated funds amounts to more than $16.3 million. If approved, University officials estimate they also would be forced to eliminate 65 filled and unfilled faculty positions and would lose 50 to 60 faculty members to competing institutions.

While the proposed cuts could eliminate 200 class sections, officials have yet to determine which departments would face reductions.

Traditionally, officials cut smaller elective classes and pool resources to protect larger introductory courses.

Coward said that she realizes cuts are sometimes unavoidable but that they still are difficult to swallow.

“I trust that if a budget cut is made, there’s a reason,” she said. “But I certainly don’t think classes should be cut. Classes offered should always be improving.”

Proposed reductions might negate recent gains to faculty quality and course offerings, officials said.

“We’ve made significant progress in offering smaller classes and retaining faculty in the last year,” said Steve Allred, executive associate provost. “All of that would be potentially undone if the cuts go through.”

But faculty members and officials said instructional programs are one of the few areas left to cut, saying other areas were eliminated in prior budget crises.

“There’s not a lot of money that can be squeezed out without affecting academic programs,” said Judith Wegner, chairwoman of the faculty.

Officials also said the potential move could damage the University’s ability to recruit new faculty and retain professors.

Howard Aldrich, chairman of the Department of Sociology, said a 4 percent cut likely would cause his department to lose two to four classes and possibly would harm faculty recruitment efforts.

“It’s a national market for faculty and students,” Aldrich said. “It’s a little scary for people who are being recruited to see this discussion up in the air.”

Officials were quick to emphasize that the proposed reduction is especially harmful because it comes on top of other cuts in recent years.

The state has reduced the University’s budget during the last four years by a total of more than $144 million, with $41 million coming through recurring reductions.

“The cumulative effect is most worrisome,” said Jonathan Hartlyn, chairman of the Department of Political Science. “There are increasingly more severe effects on students.”

Allred added that the most effective way to combat further reductions is through increased communication within the state.

“We have to do a good job telling our story,” he said. “Folks need to understand this isn’t about one less piece of chalk in a classroom. This is a significant cut.”