Students take aid overseas

Spring Break provided nine UNC students with the opportunity to wander through the streets of Thailand, visit local orphanages and run a marathon surrounded by Buddhist temples and scenic rice paddies.

After months of fund raising on behalf of tsunami victims, the students traveled to Bangkok on a trip sponsored by UNC’s American Red Cross Club.

The club worked closely with Airline Ambassadors International, a nonprofit organization dedicated to helping people in need throughout the world.

The organization gave the students tickets to Thailand provided that they complete humanitarian work during their travels.

Airline Ambassadors originally told students they would deliver an ambulance to Phuket, Thailand, but logistical complications forced them to find another activity.

Charlie Newsome, treasurer of the Red Cross Club, spent some of his first days in Thailand trying to find a new project and finally discovered HOPE Worldwide — a nonprofit organization that serves disadvantaged children and the elderly.

The students visited two orphanages: one with children from Thailand and neighboring countries Laos and Cambodia, the other a home for handicapped children.

At the boys’ orphanage, the group brought shoes for the children as well as cards made by American children.

“It was amazing to see how happy (the kids) could be when you play with them,” Newsome said.

He said the experience was a chance to show the children “that they’re not alone in the world.”

Freshman Delana Lensgraf called the visiting the orphanages an “eye-opening” experience.

“They’re just like American kids,” she said. “They were really cute kids. I wanted to take them home.”

When two of the children were unable to fit into the shoes provided, Newsome and junior Brian Daoust offered the children their own shoes, a pair of hiking boots and Nikes.

Aside from volunteering, the group participated in the International Thailand Temple Run. The event was a 26.2-mile marathon in Songkram, a rural area an hour and a half away from Bangkok.

Senior Patricia Swagart ran the entire marathon, and freshmen Lensgraf and Lydia Pound ran the half-marathon.

Pound placed seventh in her age group and Lensgraf placed eighth. Newsome also said Swagart was one of the first 10 to cross the finish line in her age group.

The students who didn’t run had the opportunity to speak with locals and support the runners.

People from across the world took part in the marathon — including William Tan, a doctor from Singapore and a quadriplegic.

Tan is trying to participate in seven marathons in seven countries to raise $1.5 million to fight cancer in children.

Freshman Stephanie Preston said the trip was an amazing experience. “There was nothing that wasn’t worthwhile.”

The Daily Tar Heel 2024 Graduation Guide