Symphony concert to raise money for Project Openhand

Online exclusive

The UNC Symphony Orchestra will host a benefit concert tonight in support of the University’s chapter of Project OpenHand at 7 p.m. in Hill Hall.

Project OpenHand is a nonprofit organization that helps those living with HIV and AIDS to meet their nutritional needs.

The orchestra’s executive committee, comprising about a half-dozen of the ensemble’s 100 members, decided last fall to host a benefit show.

“The committee this year said they would like to put on some kind of charitable event,” said Professor Tonu Kalam, director of the UNC Symphony Orchestra. “It was an idea that came straight from the student committee.”

An ensemble of 40 to 50 volunteers from the orchestra will participate in the benefit, an event it has put together in a limited number of rehearsals.

The event will also encompass other members of the University’s musical community, including Tar Heel Voices and Carolina Choir.

“It’s kind of a mixed event with a lot of variety for people to enjoy,” Kalam said.

The orchestra will perform two pieces, the first of which will showcase principal cellist Michael Lotito. The second number will be Samuel Barber’s “Adagio for Strings.”

Tickets to the show cost $5, the proceeds from which go directly to Project OpenHand.

Officials chose Project OpenHand because the committee knew it was small and needed the money, said Laura Ely, co-president of the UNC chapter of the charity.

A group of 15 to 20 members of the group gather every Sunday afternoon to plan and cook seven different meals for patients in the area.

The meals are delivered in two shifts on Monday afternoons to the organization’s seven clients.

“I would love for people to come,” Ely said. “The more money we get, the more we can do and the more we can grow.”

Ely was appreciative of the efforts of all groups involved in the benefit.

“I want to say thanks to all the volunteers that are making the benefit possible, and especially thanks to the UNC orchestra,” she said. “We really appreciate it.”

Kalam said the orchestra is happy to do whatever it can for the project.

“I think it’s a really nice thing that we have a group of students that have this motivation to do this kind of thing for the community,” he said.

With the talent of several of the University’s musical groups involved, the benefit is sure to be entertaining.

“I think it’s going to be a fun concert for a good cause,” Ely said.

Contact the A&E Editor at artsdesk@unc.edu.