Tar Heels shoot down Eagles

Team avenges '04 loss in 1st round

When looking at the first half of Sunday’s game between North Carolina and Coppin State, one might have wondered if the Tar Heels were still participating in their pregame layup line.

UNC used 13 steals in the game’s first 20 minutes to create several easy fastbreak opportunities and put away the Lady Eagles 97-62 in the first round of the NCAA Tournament.

Dominant play is expected when a No. 1 seed such as the Tar Heels is pitted against a 16 seed, and UNC exhibited just that. North Carolina’s sharp shooting from the field led to a 25-0 run in the first half that created an insurmountable deficit and demoralized the spirits of the Lady Eagles, who were making the first NCAA Tournament appearance in school history.

UNC shot a season high of 62 percent from the field and 54.5 percent from behind the arc. Point guard Ivory Latta led the way with a team-high 27 points as five Tar Heels scored in double figures.

“I think they shot the ball extremely well, and a lot of it had to do with our lack of defense and the other half was due to their good shooting,” said Coppin State coach Derek Brown. “I really haven’t seen a team shoot that well ever.”

The Tar Heels used a suffocating half-court trap to force the Lady Eagles into most of their 27 turnovers and keep the game at an up-tempo style that favored UNC.

WOMEN'S BASKETBALL
UNC 97
Coppin State 62

Once UNC’s players had the ball on the other hand, they easily sliced through the zone defense used by Coppin State to try and neutralize its disadvantage in the post.

Despite the Tar Heels’ hot hands throughout the contest, the Lady Eagles played with much more poise and precision in the second half, as they were only outscored by a two-point margin compared to the 33-point deficit they faced at halftime.

“I thought in the second half we didn’t play with the intensity that we needed to,” said UNC coach Sylvia Hatchell. “It just felt like they had a lead, and we just relaxed too much.”

Such lazy play might have alarmed those Tar Heel fans who witnessed the team’s stunning exit in the first-round of the 2004 NCAA Tournament with a loss to Middle Tennessee State. However, Hatchell made sure her team was prepared and focused for this year’s opening game.

“I think it was important (to have a good start),” Hatchell said. “We learned from the past, and we did some things that I felt had us more ready to play this time.”

North Carolina senior Leah Metcalf, who struggled with her shooting during the ACC Tournament, showed her resolve by coming off the bench to score a season-high 14 points, including four 3-pointers. She also was a key component in the defensive play that sparked UNC’s spectacular start, as she registered five steals and used five assists on the offensive end to create easy baskets for her teammates.

Meanwhile, Latta put her typical abilities on display Sunday, as she made her first four shots and had only two turnovers.

“I haven’t seen anybody better (than Latta),” Brown said. “She’s a great 3-point shooter, a great passer — she’s just one heck of a player.”

Although the competition was inferior by rank, North Carolina’s quick start combined with its impressive shooting showed the team’s unshakable focus on the ultimate prize.

“We’re always eager to play basketball,” Latta said. “Coach Hatchell was telling us to be focused and go out there with a lot of intensity, and everyone was focused and ready to play.”

Contact the Sports Editor at sports@unc.edu.