Trash tops list for cost cutting

Fees for apartment complexes using large trash bins and relocating a museum to the heart of downtown might be some ways to alleviate Chapel Hill’s budget outlook, area residents charged with reviewing the budget said Wednesday.

The entire citizen subcommittee will review these and other recommendations today.

The residents form a part of a larger committee, which throughout the last two months has been looking for ways to reduce the projected 10-cent property tax increase the town might face for next fiscal year.

Town budget consultant Maximus Inc. recommended several solutions to the committee at its March 23 meeting, including cutting the town’s commercial garbage program.

Dropping the services could downsize the budget by more than $600,000, Maximus claims.

But doing so could create a conflict with a 1999 county interlocal garbage agreement, requiring that the town ensure garbage delivery to the county landfill.

The subcommittee will instead recommend to charge fees evenly to all places using large trash bins, such as schools and nonprofits.

“The Maximus analysis was superficial,” said subcommittee member Alan Rimer. “There were things not factored in. All these factors say, ‘You know, you’ve got to think this through a little more.’”

Fellow member Joe Capowski pointed out that residents would end up paying more if the garbage system was privatized.

The subcommittee also will recommend to sell one of four public buildings that the town has deemed as underperforming assets. In addition, they will explore the possibility of using marketplace leasing for one or more of the buildings.

The list of proposed buildings to be sold include the Franklin Street post office and the old Chapel Hill library building, where the Chapel Hill Museum now resides.

Subcommittee member Aaron Nelson said moving the museum’s services to the post office might reap large benefits. “If you put the museum’s function in the post office, you’ve got a downtown museum.”

Moses Carey Jr., chairman of the Orange County Board of Commissioners, spoke out on behalf of the post office — which also houses sessions of Orange County District Criminal Court — in a letter last week to Town Manager Cal Horton.

“The continued use of this facility for court purposes appears to be one that could continue to save taxpayer dollars and convenience,” the letter states.

Chapel Hill Town Council member Ed Harrison also has indicated that he thinks the council would not support these building sales.

Subcommittee members also will propose cutting the town operations center’s public art budget — $426,000, or 1 percent of the total budget — to $100,000 with the stipulation that the art be located prominently elsewhere in town.

“I think it’s ridiculous to spend $426,000 on public art at the town operations center,” Capowski said.

Other recommendations the subcommittee will make include not going forward with an inter-community merger of police, fire, parks and recreation and public works departments.

Committee recommendations are due to the council April 11. The budget is set to be passed June 27.