UNC soars to EAGL title

RALEIGH — When North Carolina gymnast Courtney Bumpers finished her floor routine at the East Atlantic Gymnastics League Championship Friday, she jumped up and down in excitement.

The crowd and her teammates could sense Bumpers’ elation and filled Reynolds Coliseum with chants of “10, 10, 10” in response to her seemingly flawless performance.

And while the judges awarded the Tar Heel junior a 9.925 — her season high and a first-place finish for the meet — it was that intensity that helped the Tar Heels capture their second EAGL championship Friday.

UNC finished with a score of 195.975, while defending champion West Virginia tied with Maryland for second place with a score of 195.20.

Rival N.C. State — the only EAGL team North Carolina lost to all season — finished fourth in the eight-team field with a score of 194.975.

“I cannot describe how proud I am of these girls,” said North Carolina coach Derek Galvin, who was named EAGL Coach of the Year.

“They’ve worked for each other, and they’ve been behind each other the entire way. That’s what every coach dreams for.”

One of the keys for the Tar Heels’ victory was their strong performance on their first event — the uneven bars. UNC had been struggling on the bars in the past couple of meets, but Friday marked the first time since Feb. 25 that no one had fallen off the bars.

The confidence the Tar Heels gained from their performance on the bars carried on throughout the rest of the meet as UNC finished with a season-high team total — even after losing a tenth of a point because of a form submitted incorrectly.

“We really, really wanted it,” Bumpers said.

“I think the judges could tell from the way we were acting. And just when our team had excitement and cheers it just makes you want to do really well.”

Bumpers was the star of the meet for the Tar Heels.

She not only received first place on floor but also shared the all-around title with West Virginia’s Janae Cox, with a score of 39.475, and a first-place tie on the uneven bars with a season high mark of 9.875.

Teammate Christine Robella was not far behind, as she finished in a tie for second place in the All-Around competition.

“I think everybody knew when we came in here that we were just here to win — just by the way we held ourselves,” Robella said.

Robella is one of two Tar Heels still dealing with injuries that have plagued them all season.

North Carolina junior Mikel Hester overcame her lingering shoulder injury to place fifth in the all-around competition, while teammate Olivia Trusty placed 11th overall, despite a recently aggravated shoulder.

But both coach and gymnasts agreed that ultimately it was the energy that proved to be the key for the Tar Heels to capture their first championship title since 2002.

“There was so much energy just from the team cheering,” said Bumpers.

“You couldn’t finish a routine (today) and not be excited.”

Contact the Sports Editor at sports@unc.edu.