UNC wins for environmental efforts

Evidence of resource conservation and sustainability efforts are visible in the storm water roof at the Rams Head Center and the developments planned for Morrison Residence Hall.

The environmental initiatives are just a few of the University’s efforts that were recognized last week with the 2005 N.C. State Government Sustainability Award at the second annual N.C. Sustainability Energy Conference.

“The award confirms that we’re on the right track as we continue to strive to adapt more sustainable practices,” said Cindy Shea, UNC’s sustainability coordinator.

The increased presence of sustainability both on and off campus proved to be a determining factor for the award, Shea said.

“Many of the most difficult problems that our society faces are related to sustainability,” she said. “Finding strategies that will provide new economic opportunities in ways that will care for people and the planet are the highest priority for the state and the country in the future.”

The sustainability initiative began in 1999 as a grassroots campaign but has developed considerably since then. Today, the initiative has flourished to include several facets of the University, from classes to student organizations.

Students can enroll in the Carolina Environmental Program, which offers a bachelor’s degree in environmental studies, environmental sciences or environmental health science. Students enrolled in the masters of business administration program may get a concentration in sustainable enterprise.

Outside the classroom, questions of sustainability also have made their way into the administration. Shea said sustainability is becoming part of standard practice, and University officials are considering the environmental impact of their decisions.

Carolyn Elfland, associate vice chancellor for campus services, said the University’s bid to become the leading public university includes an environmental as well as an academic focus.

“Everything we’ve done to emphasize sustainability throughout the University is being recognized, so it’s very positive,” Elfland said.

UNC students also are involved through organizations such as the Renewable Energy Special Projects Committee, which encouraged officials to look into the possibility of placing solar panels on the roof of Morrison as part of the building’s renovation process.

“I think that our sustainability initiative will help to recruit and retain students, staff and faculty who want to take pride in the institution where they study or work, knowing that we’re one of the leading adapters of this practice,” Shea said.

“(That) we continuously strive to improve our performance is attractive to many who want to be affiliated with the University.”