Vigil remembers the fallen

Groups join together to honor troops

Silence fell over Polk Place on Monday evening as students gathered around the flag pole to pay respect to U.S. soldiers who lost their lives during the war in Iraq.

Students bowed their heads, some silently cried, and others looked up toward the flag as they participated in a vigil to commemorate the two-year anniversary of the beginning of the war.

The event garnered bipartisan support and was sponsored by UNC’s Young Democrats, College Republicans and the Campus Y.

“We wanted to make a statement on the anniversary of the war,” said Blakely Whilden, co-president of Young Democrats.

“We have to have a unified voice. Our message is to support our troops.”

Whilden stressed that the vigil was intended to show support for the soldiers in Iraq and not to advocate for or show opposition to the war.

“We don’t want this to turn into a demonstration,” she said. “Support for our troops crosses party lines.”

A crowd of about 50 students gathered in the Pit when the vigil began with remarks from members of all the organizations that co-sponsored the event.

Jordan Selleck, chairman of College Republicans, told students to ask themselves questions to recognize the brave work of the troops.

“Who has died? Who has been away from their children and wives for months?” Selleck asked.

After the remarks, students paid their tributes with a brief moment of silence followed by a silent walk to Polk Place.

As students walked along the brick paths that lead to Polk Place, they acknowledged flags that were placed along the walkways.

In total, 1,521 lined the path, one for each American soldier who has died in Iraq.

Stephen Lassiter, co-president-elect of Campus Y, challenged participants to tend to each flag.

“Stop, bend down, pitch fallen flags and place them in the dirt again,” he said.

As students walked by, some did as Lassiter challenged. By the end of the vigil, all 1,521 flags once again stood tall in the dirt.

Gia Branciforte, an executive committee member of Young Democrats, said the event marked an important step for students to support the troops and disregard political divisions.

“I think it’s kind of difficult for students to separate the political view from the support of the soldiers,” she said.

“It is important for us to remember that these aren’t just names and these aren’t just numbers — these are people just like us.”

The Young Democrats and College Republicans are continuing to bridge party lines by collecting CDs and DVDs to send to the troops.