Vote on veep to come today

Congress has yet to solidify position

Congress is set to decide the fate of student body vice president nominee Adrian Johnston tonight — but many of the body’s members have yet to figure out where they stand.

Members of Student Congress voted last week to postpone a decision regarding Johnston after the appointment failed to garner the two-thirds majority needed to pass.

One week after 2 1/2 hours of deliberation — questioning the nominee selection process along with Johnston’s character, qualifications and friendship with Student Body President-elect Seth Dearmin — Congress still appears to be far from a resolution.

Johnston was chosen from a pool of four applicants, which also included former student body presidential candidate Seke Ballard, VoteCarolina Chairman Jeremy Spivey and Mark Laabs, slated to be Dearmin’s chief of staff.

Rep. Kris Gould, who made the motion to reconvene today for the final decision, said most members of Congress did not have enough information at the last meeting to make a solid decision.

“There was possible information there, but not firm information,” he said.

Many representatives said their final decisions will be made on the floor of Congress.

Rep. Blakely Whilden, who voted last week to affirm the nomination and supported the motion to reconsider, said she and several other representatives are still unsure how they will vote tonight.

Members said new information about the nominee or his selection process is unlikely to emerge.

“I think it’s going to be the same kind of arguments that are there,” said Speaker Charlie Anderson.

For most representatives, the extra week has provided an opportunity to process and investigate the initial allegations and questions.

But Rep. Luke Farley, who voted against Johnston’s nomination and against the subsequent motion to delay deliberation, said the week has been used as a “pressure period” for members to change votes.

For Johnston, the past week has been draining.

Still, he said, he recognizes the reasons for delay. “It’s given me an opportunity to have some very valuable conversations.”

Members of Congress have swapped ideas throughout the week, and both Johnston and Dearmin met with representatives to discuss concerns more extensively.

“I know I’ve definitely heard people who have been contacting each other frequently,” Anderson said.

Rep. Anisa Mohanty, who questioned Johnston’s ability to maintain solid working relationships with women, said talking with Johnston this week helped both parties clarify misunderstandings.

“I do not think Adrian is at all brushing off women,” Mohanty said. She went on to add that her concerns are based on communication problems, not discriminatory actions.

Johnston said he “felt very good” about his meeting with Mohanty.

But for tomorrow night, all Congress members interviewed said they hope the decision will be a speedy one — a time limit on the debate has even been suggested.

“I know a lot of people in Congress have the tendency to rehash things and to say a lot of things to emphasize the point as much as possible,” Rep. Kris Wampler said.

“I really hope we keep it simple.”

As far as the long-term effects of the extended discussions on Dearmin’s future administration, the student body president-elect said he does not feel hurt by the controversy.

“I only feel more excited about student government and that people are up for doing their jobs correctly,” Dearmin said.

“It will only help foster more open and honest communication throughout the year.”