Wampler takes on Union

Political labels are at the center of contention between the Carolina Union board of directors and one determined student activist.

Kris Wampler, a member of Student Congress and an outspoken conservative, met with the board before Spring Break regarding two seats reserved for the Gay, Lesbian, Bisexual, Transgender-Straight Alliance and the Black Student Movement.

The board of directors handles space allocation appeals and focuses on how to best use the Union.

Wampler said his key complaint stems from an uneasiness with the guaranteed representation of two groups that he says pursue liberal agendas on a policy board with no conservative counterbalance. “I just feel like it’s not an equal representation of all students,” he said.

Claire Anderson, head of the Carolina Union Activities Board, has asked Wampler to defend his claims with concrete evidence that GLBTSA and BSM are liberal entities whose ideologies directly impact the board’s operations.

“The whole thing is just a complicated, complex issue,” said Anderson, whose role in CUAB gives her a spot on the Union board of directors. “This is something that deserves a lot of time.”

Wampler has since compiled proof that cites many Daily Tar Heel articles that he says showcase the groups’ liberal stances.

“I think it’s important that we reassess the entire board,” Anderson said. “What it comes down to is, are those groups affecting the outcomes of the (Carolina Union board of directors)?”

Nicole Wilson, executive assistant of BSM, attended the meeting where Wampler presented his case to the board and said his remarks were incorrect and rude.

She is perplexed that Wampler addressed political ideologies when the board is fundamentally apolitical. “That confused me to begin with,” Wilson said. “I didn’t think it was an appropriate action.”

Alex Ferrando, GLBTSA co-chairman, said political labeling is unfounded. “He’s pigeonholed us that every member of our group follows liberal politics when that is not true. I really don’t see how our politics can influence their programming.”

Wampler first came to the board in January to voice his concerns.

“The board needs to be responsive to the changes on campus,” he said. “(Conservatism is) becoming a growing demographic. It’s cool to have racial diversity and sexual orientation diversity, but why not have political diversity?”

Wampler said he first proposed the creation of conservative appointments for effective balance. But after learning of the board’s apolitical nature, his primary focus has become abolishing the GLBTSA and BSM seats altogether.

“If anything, those groups were placed on the board because they are considered minority groups on campus,” said Claire Anderson.

Charlie Anderson, speaker of Student Congress, said Wampler’s allegations might have been fed by confusing the roles of the Carolina Union Activities Board and the Carolina Union board of directors. The former is an internal planning mechanism and the latter is a separate policy body.

“The point of (the board of directors) is to maximize the benefits that the students get out of the Student Union,” he said.

Despite the possible misconception, Charlie Anderson said political ideology should not be codified. “You’re formalizing something that should be done informally,” he said. “You get a slippery slope.”

Student Body President Matt Calabria said he’s never seen evidence that the Carolina Union board of directors has any sort of political leaning. “There are a lot of things left to be answered,” he said, noting that a solution can be acquired through discussion rather than months of research.