Fresh off its ACC title run, the UNC women’s basketball team is expected to bring even more attention to Chapel Hill later this month when it — and the Smith Center — host two first-round games in the NCAA basketball tournament.

The Tar Heels won the right to play on their home court, thanks to their ACC championships in both the regular season and the conference tournament. The team is expected to be seeded either No. 1 or No. 2 in its region.

Those achievements, combined with a growing interest in women’s sports, should bring increased business during the March 20 and March 22 games, locals say.

“It’s a premier venue and a premier event,” said Aaron Nelson, executive director of the Chapel Hill-Carrboro Chamber of Commerce.

“Athletic events have a good impact and will bring people to the area from outside communities.”

The last time Chapel Hill hosted the tournament was in 2002, but this is the first time that it will be at the Smith Center. The 2002 games were held in Carmichael Auditorium.

As with most UNC sporting events, hotels are likely to see an increase in occupancy.

During the 2002 tournament, 2,125 people attended the first-round game, and 1,965 showed up for the second-round tussle.

Walter Nottingham, general manager at the Best Western University Inn at 1310 Raleigh Road, said it is the norm for the hotel to see more activity during such high-profile events.

“Any time we get more people in the area, the better,” Nottingham said, adding that he has noticed an increase in reservations around this year’s tournament dates.

Officials at the Courtyard by Marriott, which opened near the Friday Center in September, said they have not yet noticed any impact. But they expect to see more business closer to the actual dates.

“We’ll probably fill up by then,” said Christa Waddell, a guest services assistant at the hotel.

Downtown Franklin Street is filled with shops that could reap the benefits of increased enthusiasm in UNC sporting events.

“It brings more people to the streets of Chapel Hill, not only buying sports merchandise, but to the restaurants as well,” said Dave Bright, an employee at Chapel Hill Sportswear at 133 E. Franklin St.

Bright said his store sees more activity during winning seasons.

“Happier fans buy more.”

John Hudson, co-owner of Carolina Pride at 151 E. Franklin St., said his store will likely have a larger stock of women’s apparel during the tournament.

Bright said women’s basketball ACC T-shirts have been hot retail items during the past few days.

Nelson said the combination of successful teams and hosting sporting events like the tournament increases overall local business activity.

“When our teams are doing well, we all do better.”

The Daily Tar Heel 2024 Graduation Guide