CHARLOTTE — The seniors carried the North Carolina men’s basketball team from 8-20 in 2002 to the ACC regular-season title in 2005.

But if the first two rounds of the NCAA Tournament are any indication, it’ll be up to the underclassmen to carry the load the rest of the way.

Senior Jawad Williams, who displayed a remarkable consistency throughout the season, has struggled since suffering a hip injury in the ACC Tournament.

Melvin Scott, thrust into a starting role while Rashad McCants battled an intestinal disorder, has averaged just 4.3 points in his last seven games.

And while Jackie Manuel continues to perform at a high level defensively — not to mention his 10 points against Oakland on Friday — his five turnovers led the Tar Heels on Sunday.

But after watching numerous high seeds — including ACC foe Wake Forest — exit the tournament early, the younger Tar Heels have made it their responsibility to prolong the careers of the players who persevered.

“As juniors and underclassmen, we have to look out for our seniors,” said forward Sean May. “It’s a tough feeling for (Wake Forest’s) Taron Downey and Jamaal Levy, and we didn’t want Jackie and Melvin and Jawad to have that feeling. As underclassmen, we have to do our part.”

May, the runner-up to Duke’s J.J. Redick in ACC Player of the Year voting, certainly has done his part thus far.

He scored 19 points and grabbed eight rebounds in North Carolina’s first-round victory against Oakland, and he followed that performance with 24 points and 17 boards against Iowa State.

Junior point guard Raymond Felton scored 15 points against Iowa State, but he also compiled eight assists and no turnovers.

And McCants, who returned to the starting lineup against Oakland, scored a total of 33 points in the Tar Heels’ two games.

“Five guys individually is nothing,” said UNC coach Roy Williams. “This team is getting better because they’re realizing that five guys together is a much stronger team.”

Reserves see time

North Carolina’s end-of-the-bench reserves saw plenty of action this season, as the Tar Heels won eight of their regular-season games by more than 30 points.

They likely didn’t expect to see time against a formidable Iowa State squad, but that’s exactly what happened in the final minute of Sunday’s game.

Jesse Holley, a wide receiver on UNC’s football team, scored two points on a dunk.

Wes Miller and Charlie Everett combined to hit two technical-foul free-throws, and Byron Sanders even registered a block.

UNC to face Villanova next

The top-seeded Tar Heels now advance to the regional semifinals in Syracuse, N.Y., where they will face fifth-seeded Villanova on Friday.

The Wildcats defeated No. 4 seed Florida 76-65 on Sunday to advance to the Sweet 16.

The Wildcats will be without their leading rebounder and second leading scorer in junior forward Curtis Sumpter, who suffered a tear in the anterior cruciate ligament in his left knee during Sunday’s game and will be out for the remainder of the NCAA Tournament.

The game will take place 30 minutes after the conclusion of the contest between Wisconsin and N.C. State, a 7:27 p.m. tip.

Contact the Sports Editor at sports@unc.edu.