Advisory board to meet

With the N.C. General Assembly embroiled in budget debates, the University finds itself at the mercy of outside governing bodies.

But this weekend will bring a helpful outside resource UNC can tap when addressing such challenges.

UNC’s Board of Visitors, a body of people from across the nation associated with the University, will meet this weekend to weigh in on issues facing North Carolina’s flagship university.

“The board is made up of people who are deeply committed to the University and interested in what it does, and in some cases are in a position to help us,” said Jonathan Howes, special assistant to the chancellor.

Board members offer a broad range of qualities — such as government influences and business expertise — from which the University can draw support.

“We are trying to steer things to the best place possible for the University,” said Kel Landis, chairman of the Board of Visitors.

Faculty retention and governmental relations have emerged at the forefront of the issues the board will tackle.

“A lot of these folks run large businesses or work in big corporations where they deal with retention issues with their employees as well,” said Steve Allred, executive associate provost. “They can bring expertise to bear as we try to figure out how to recruit and retain faculty.”

As a public institution, UNC depends on government funding, and relations with politicians have become vital to the school’s welfare.

“Oftentimes it is important to have an individual who is aligned with the University — but doesn’t work for the University — to help persuade members of Congress of the importance of our mission,” said Allison Rosenberg, associate vice chancellor for research and federal affairs.

Rosenberg cited federal funding decisions as one area in which board members might influence the University’s efforts.

A looming federal budget proposal would drastically cut funding for the National Science Foundation, a group that often provides grants and scholarships to UNC faculty and students.

“Often it’s more effective to have business leaders who will not receive these monies themselves express their beliefs that budget cuts today will have consequences in the future,” Rosenberg said.

Chapel Hill Mayor Kevin Foy will discuss ongoing town-gown relations with members, and the board also will tackle state-level governance.

“We try to help (the board) get a perspective in terms of what we see from the inside and listen to what they might say about their observations,” said Judith Wegner, chairwoman of the faculty.

In an attempt to see the perspective of a University student, members will dine at the new Rams Head Center today and hear Timothy B. Tyson, author of “Blood Done Sign My Name,” weigh in on this year’s summer reading selection.

“I think the board was interested to really talk about the context in which summer reading occurs at the University,” said Bobbi Owen, senior associate dean for undergraduate education.

University officials will also brief members of the board on the development of a comprehensive performing arts program, as well as scholarship and financial aid issues.

Landis said the board hopes to bring a fresh perspective and new ideas to alleviate the University’s woes.

“It’s a group of people throughout the country that are very interested in the University who want to come here and understand issues on campus and really just do everything we can to help and support UNC.”