'After Chill' remains cool

Added security eases safety concerns

Amid rumors of gang activity and a past speckled with violent disputes, police took extra precautions to ensure that Sunday’s 34th annual Apple Chill festival was safe.

Officials were relieved by the lack of violence reported this year.

Extra police forces were on hand to patrol Franklin Street on Sunday for the festival and the unofficial “After Chill” celebration that followed, which has been under scrutiny because of some violent incidents in the past.

Last year, there were two stabbings after the festival at the Local 506 bar. But that year still saw less violence than what was reported the year before.

In 2003, there were 12 fights, according to Chapel Hill police reports. A shootout occurred after the festival in 1993.

This year’s Apple Chill turned out to be a much quieter affair.

One arrest was made for disorderly conduct, according to Chapel Hill police reports.

“Typically, there has not been a huge amount of violence at any ‘After Chill,’” said Chapel Hill police Chief Gregg Jarvies.

“It was a relatively uneventful event,” he said of this year’s festival, adding that officers only had to breakup a few minor scuffles.

“Nothing major occurred.”

Police heard rumors about potential gang activity in the days before the festival. Chapel Hill police enlisted the help of officers from the Durham Police Department’s gang unit to monitor the event.

“We’ve done some training on what to look for, various signs, colors,” said Maj. Tony Oakley, of the Chapel Hill police.

Officers paid close attention to large groups of individuals wearing similar colors, which might suggest gang involvement, and to groups that were taunting each other, Jarvies said.

There were two incidents of “crowd rushing,” in which a mass group of people begins running in a set direction because of a noise, he said. One of these incidents occurred when people mistook a motorcycle backfire for gunshots.

But overall, police saw only minor problems and cleared the street at 12:15 a.m., Jarvies said.

“We’re glad that nothing did happen at the event,” said Sonya Reddick Shaw, programming and marketing supervisor for the town Parks and Recreation Department.

She said 55,000 people attended the festival, a number that exceeded expectations.

“I’m sure people came down to do what they intended to do, which was enjoy themselves,” Shaw said.

Chapel Hill Special Events Officer Phil Smith said Thursday that there were 140 officers set to patrol the streets — an increase of about 25 officers compared to last year.

Oakley said about 100 officers stayed at the West end of Franklin Street throughout the day, a place that was a problem area in past “After Chill” events.

“But the majority of folks that go there go to socialize,” he said. “Not to make problems.”