ASG sees tweaks to budget

The 2005-06 budget for the UNC-system Association of Student Governments represents the new administration’s goal for stronger leadership and more influence in national higher education issues.

President-elect Zach Wynne proposed a working budget Saturday during the last full ASG meeting of the year with several distinct changes from last year’s budget. The association’s $170,000 budget comes from a $1 student fee imposed at all 16 system schools.

The changes include increased money for executive cell phones, vice president stipends and federal campaigning.

Wynne, who will attend graduate school at Appalachian State University next year, is the first ASG president in seven years to come from a school outside of the Triangle.

For this reason, his budget sets aside $1,200 for cell phone use. This past year, the two leading ASG officers — from N.C. State and Fayetteville State universities — spent about $1,000 on cell phone plans.

“Being so far away, I’m going to be on the phone more than other presidents,” Wynne said. “I can’t afford a large cell phone bill.”

The new budget also will increase monthly stipends for student officers from $100 to $150, though the increase does not apply to the president and senior vice president.

Wynne said the motive for the increase is to attract a wider range of students to the position and to make compensation proportional to the work involved.

“I have seen the amount of work they’ve done,” he said. “The ASG can be a very rigorous job and demanding. I believe $150 is fair compensation.”

Jud Watkins, vice president of academic and student affairs said he thinks increasing stipends is fair because of the cost of attending meetings and the workload.

“I lost a whole lot of money this year because the stipend is so small, and I attended all the meetings,” he said. “If people come in and see the work the officers do, people would understand the increase.”

In addition to raising stipends, Wynne originally set aside $10,000 for federal advocacy and $8,000 to be used for state-level advocacy. But the Council of Student Body Presidents switched the amounts.

Wynne said that while he understands the change, he thinks the association’s trip to Washington, D.C., ensures system students a voice at the federal level.

“The Congress does take up issues that affect our students,” he said. “We needed to make sure our voice is heard so that (the representatives) can support minimal cuts.”

Jamen Miller, ASG senior vice president-elect, said money for sending delegates to the nation’s capitol, communication with other states’ student organizations and contact with the U.S. Students Association were taken into consideration when creating the budget.

If the trip to Capitol Hill does not happen, Wynne said the money will fund state-level activities.

Because the N.C. General Assembly will not be in session for most of the next academic year, Wynne plans to spend money on improving student voter guides and establishing a task force of students who will review the ASG’s budget.

Victor Landry, senior vice president of the association, said that even though there will be a short session, efforts should be made to influence the system’s Board of Governors because they determine tuition along with the General Assembly.

The budget will not be finalized until the association’s first meeting of the 2005-06 academic year.

Wynne stressed that even after the budget is finalized, he still wants student opinion.

“(Miller and I) want people’s input,” he said. “I would welcome any kind of comments.”

Contact the State & National Editor at stntdesk@unc.edu.