Baltimore drafts Brown in 4th round

NFL selects Sensabaugh, Hedgecock

In order to ease his mind during this weekend’s NFL Draft, former North Carolina center Jason Brown did what he always does to relax — he went fishing.

But while the fish might have been biting at the cozy lake near his parents’ home in Henderson, it took one day and 123 picks before Brown snagged a NFL team on his reel in this year’s draft.

The Baltimore Ravens selected the 6-foot-2, 313-pound Brown in the fourth round with the 124th pick, making him the second UNC offensive lineman to be drafted in as many years. Tampa Bay picked offensive guard Jeb Terry in 2004.

“It feels great to be a Baltimore Raven,” Brown said. “It’s going to be the best fit for me and a smooth transition. I’m just thanking the Lord right now.”

The fact that Brown lasted until Sunday was a great surprise to most, including him. Before the draft, Brown had been informed by NFL scouts and coaches that he would likely be a first-day pick.

But when the first three rounds of the draft ended Saturday, Brown still had no professional team to call his own. It took a few words of encouragement from up above to lift his spirits when he woke up Sunday.

“The draft is a humbling process,” Brown said.

“There was a little doubt when I went to bed (Saturday), but when I woke up and prayed, God told me that He had this. He said it’s not about everybody else’s plan for me or the plan I had for myself because He had something better in store, and I’m not complaining because the Ravens are the best fit for me.”

According to Brown, Ravens head coach Brian Billick admitted that he had not really scouted the Tar Heel center, but when he noticed that Brown was still available late in the draft, he was “too great a pick to pass up on.”

Baltimore is certainly getting a bona fide prospect in Brown. During his senior season at UNC, he garnered All-American honors, was named first-team All-ACC and capped off an amazing streak of two consecutive seasons without allowing a sack.

Despite the long wait Brown had to endure, he said he knows that getting drafted is the easiest and least important step in making a career in the NFL.

“Of course I have a chip on my shoulder, but even if I had went earlier I would have busted my butt and worked hard just like I am now,” Brown said.

“They tell you it’s not the first contract that matters, but your second one that really shows the reapings of what you’ve sowed on the field.

“It’s not about how early you go, it’s the workability you have with the team.”

Two other Tar Heels also made the jump to the NFL on Sunday, as safety Gerald Sensabaugh was picked by the Jacksonville Jaguars in the fifth round, and fullback Madison Hedgecock was selected by the St. Louis Rams in the seventh and final round.

Although he only played one year of Division I football at UNC, Sensabaugh made his mark as a senior, as he earned honorable mention All-ACC honors and led the team in tackles with 78.

Meanwhile, Hedgecock capitalized on his sole year at the fullback position in 2004 — after playing defensive end as a sophomore and junior — by rushing for 126 yards and two touchdowns.

Contact the Sports Editor at sports@unc.edu.