Board discusses arts, summer reading book

On what could be the dawn of a new era for the arts at UNC, the Board of Visitors meeting changed gears Friday and, after talks of tuition and faculty retention, focused on the role art plays in building a community.

Emil Kang, executive director for the arts, and Timothy Tyson, author of this year’s summer reading book, addressed the board late in the afternoon.

The Board of Visitors is a service organization comprising individuals who advise the chancellor and the Board of Trustees on University policies.

Kang, who took office in January, announced that the opening season of the newly renovated Memorial Hall will begin Sept. 9.

Titled “A Movement To Greatness,” the season will showcase more than 40 acts in the revamped venue, which is slated to become the main stage for marquee performances at the University.

Describing to the board his goal to make UNC a major destination for world-class performances, Kang underscored the importance of starting close to home.

“Before we can become the finest arts program in the world, we have to learn how to be the best in the community,” he said.

In his address, he incorporated talk of peer institutions familiar to tuition discussions, saying some of the best universities in the country also have the best art programs.

“I personally believe that the arts play a big role in that,” he said. “People do look for an enriching experience for themselves and their families.”

Kang said ticket prices for the season would likely range between $15 and $75 dollars, with “a large chunk of those (tickets)” reserved for students.

“If we leave the students behind, what’s the point?” he asked.

Following Kang’s discussion was a talk about the summer reading program and the issues that might surround Tyson’s “Blood Done Sign My Name,” a selection that deals with race and violence in North Carolina.

“Sometimes controversy doesn’t hurt,” said Bobbi Owen, senior associate dean for undergraduate education in the College of Arts and Sciences.

Owen was on the committee that chose “Blood Done Sign My Name” from a list of more than 200 selections.

It’s the seventh book in the program’s history — and, Owen said, the first one with serious North Carolina connections.

Tyson also addressed the board, reading selections from his book and highlighting its major themes: white supremacy, paternalism and violence.

The professor of Afro-American studies at the University of Wisconsin-Madison said the group discussions will be useful for incoming students yet difficult.

That’s because students have a tendency to focus too much on appearing nonprejudiced, he said.

“The discussion is very important,” he said.

“The conversation shouldn’t be about our own virtue or lack thereof, but where do we go from here.’”

Contact the A&E Editor at artsdesk@unc.edu.