Carrboro examines satellite campus

Carolina North talks come as town considers land use

As its population continues to swell, Carrboro wants to see commercial development keep pace with residential expansion and a major University project.

But officials and residents don’t exactly agree on the best ways for that development to reflect the town’s distinct atmosphere.

The Carrboro Board of Aldermen held a work session Tuesday on the commercial zones it could employ in the Northern Study Area, north of Homestead Road. It also considered the impact UNC’s proposed satellite campus, Carolina North, will have on that zoning.

“We have a limited amount of land, and within that limited amount we have to decide what’s appropriate,” said Alderman Joal Broun.

Expanding commercial space is a key tenet of the town’s Vision 2020 development plan, an outline for future growth.

While town officials have focused primarily on revamping downtown, most new residential districts, such as the newly annexed neighborhoods around Rogers Road, lie near the northern area — as does Carolina North, the 963-acre research park.

“I think we need to expand the same type of vision we have for downtown Carrboro to northern Carrboro,” said Alderman John Herrera.

The northern area also includes the Winmore project and the northern transition zone, which falls under the jurisdiction of both town and county.

Annexed residents have voiced distrust with both the annexations and the town’s plans for the area.

“I observe that this board enjoys planning and expanding for its own sake like a set of Tinker Toys,” said Jeff Vanke, 2003 mayoral candidate and a resident of one of the annexed neighborhoods.

For the northern study area, town staff favor floating village mixed-use districts, which combine dense residential and commercial areas, as well as zones for office space.

But the aldermen are concerned about the ambiguity of floating zones and what zoning acreage limits will mean for Carolina North. The town’s land-use ordinance limits the size of different zones, and the satellite campus isn’t a small undertaking.

“Carolina North could come in and gobble up all of the acreage, or other developments could come in before Carolina North is even on the ground,” Alderman Jacquelyn Gist said.

Planning administrator Trish McGuire said town staff is exploring ways to exempt Carolina North from acreage limits, and Alderman Alex Zaffron suggested that a new and purely commercial zone be used.

Alderman Mark Chilton added that the town has not been specific about where it wants to see commercial development. Until it reaches a decision, plans for Carolina North and other areas will stay tenuous.

Locals are also worried about what dense commercial zoning will mean for the peace and quiet of existing neighborhoods.

“My main concern about Carolina North is that nobody really knows how traffic is going to work,” Vanke said.

A possible compromise for Carolina North might be creating purely residential areas to house University employees, Broun said.

“The village idea is great if it’s planned well,” Vanke said.

Several aldermen said commercial districts should only go on main roads where the town can feasibly support them.

“The reality is that there are only a few places with the infrastructure to support commercial zoning,” said Mayor Mike Nelson.

Contact the City Editor at citydesk@unc.edu