Chancellor publicly takes helm

N.C. State leader gets warm welcome

RALEIGH — In front of an audience of several thousand stood James Oblinger, blinking through flashbulbs and squinting into the brilliant lights illuminating the stage.

After such noted speakers as UNC-system President Molly Broad; General Hugh Shelton, former Chairman of the U.S. Joint Chiefs of Staff; and Gov. Mike Easley, it was Oblinger’s moment.

“I will do my best to fulfill my oath of office and carry on the traditions that make North Carolina State a great university,” Oblinger said to the hushed crowd.

Announced October 8, 2004, as the university’s new chancellor, Oblinger was formally sworn into office Wednesday. He has served in the position since January.

He outlined several goals for his tenure, including the need for more diversity. He also said he wants to promote the university’s values and give back to the surrounding community.

“The measure of North Carolina State’s success will be what we give back,” Oblinger said. “North Carolina State is giving back and demonstrating that we value people, innovation and action.”

“The work of so many people makes North Carolina State the outstanding university it is,” he added.

The audience included many accomplished and notable onlookers, including Norman Borlaug, the geneticist credited with saving millions of lives through his creation of dwarf wheat. Borlaug received the Nobel Peace Prize in 1970.

Before Oblinger’s speech, Easley spoke highly of the new chancellor, praising several of his distinguishing values and characteristics.

“We have much to look forward to in Chancellor Oblinger,” Easley said. “I know (Oblinger) and the university will continue to make North Carolina proud.”

Broad said Oblinger will be a great asset to N.C. State.

“You have gained a strong leader that has a deep understanding of this university and who loves this university,” she told the crowd.

William Burns, a member of the UNC-system Board of Governors, said a hard road lies ahead for the chancellor but that Oblinger will rise to the occasion.

“There is a great challenge set for the new chancellor,” Burns said. “There is no doubt in my mind he can take it to the next level.”

Speaking to Oblinger in a taped interview, William Friday, former UNC-system president and an alumnus of N.C. State, called Oblinger a perfect match for the university.

“You are ready for this institution, and this institution is ready for you,” Friday said.

As the celebration came to a close, Oblinger made it obvious that he is looking to the future and toward what he believes can be accomplished.

“Today, I ask that we all recommit ourselves to people, innovation and action,” he said.

“Today’s celebration is not about me — we celebrate us. We celebrate North Carolina State, and North Carolina State is a great university.”

Standing at the helm of the state’s largest university, Oblinger made clear that he intends to set a high bar for the school’s future success.

“We must never be satisfied with tomorrow’s accomplishments until we are sure they are better than today’s and yesterday’s,” he said.

Contact the State & National Editor at stntdesk@unc.edu.