'Chappelle' writer to speak

Alumnus uses skills gained at UNC

He’s not Rick James, Lil’ Jon or Black Bush — but he’s doing OK for himself.

One can safely say that about UNC alumnus Bryan Tucker. He’s written for notable prime-time staples such as “Saturday Night Live” and “The Chris Rock Show,” and his current post has him at Comedy Central megahit “Chappelle’s Show.”

Now, for at least a while, he’s taking time off from his gig mocking people of all races and ethnicities to return to Chapel Hill.

The 1993 graduate will appear at this year’s Carolina Comedy Festival next to luminaries such as fellow alum and Comedy Central employee Lewis Black. He’ll host two workshops as part of the week’s series of events.

It’s all possible, he said, because of his time on the Hill.

“The environment of it was so diverse in terms of night life, and if you were into frat life, there was a place for that,” he said. “If you were into films, there was a place to go.

“I was into comedy, and there were places that were open to people that were performing around town, and that helped. We had (Student Television), and that was when I first started writing comedy sketches.”

Tucker found a niche on campus as well. He began working on an entertainment magazine dubbed The Omnibus during his day while pursuing a major in journalism. And he performed at local hot spots such as Carolina Coffee Shop.

His professional career started in Chapel Hill, too. Tucker and several friends formed a sketch comedy group and began to garner a local following before acquiring an agent and playing different venues around North Carolina.

As the troupe continued to gain prominence, it began to tour the country, often stopping at different universities.

After four years, the collective parted ways, and Tucker made the move to New York and began to work the standup circuit.

During this time Tucker did smaller comedy work around the area, including faxed monologue jokes to David Letterman. He also sent jokes to news spoof “Weekend Update,” part of “Saturday Night Live,” which at the time starred Norm Macdonald and Colin Quinn.

Through connections made in the industry, Tucker landed a job writing for the “The Chris Rock Show” on HBO. The series offered him many of the networking contacts that would lead him to his success.

After writing for “The Chris Rock Show” for two seasons, he left for Los Angeles, where he wrote for Fox’s “MAD TV” for a season. He then began to write for “Tough Crowd with Colin Quinn” on Comedy Central.

While with “Tough Crowd,” an acquaintance of Tucker’s, Neal Brennan, was formulating a show with Dave Chappelle. Brennan and Chappelle had previously collaborated on the 1998 movie “Half Baked.”

A purveyor of irreverent ethnic humor, Tucker wrote the “Racial Draft” sketch for “Chappelle’s Show.”

“(Brennan) asked me for some ideas, and then they brought me in at the end of the first season,” said Tucker. Originally a freelance worker for the series, Tucker is a regular writer for the third season.

Jonathon Benson, the chairman of the comedy committee for the Carolina Union Activities Board, contacted Tucker about participating in the 2005 Carolina Comedy Festival. “They were looking for other Carolina alumni that could help with the festival, but they tracked me down and called me up and asked if I wanted to participate,” said Tucker.

Tucker said his acceptance was in part related to his gratitude towards the University. “I feel the environment there really helped me get my start. My first standup show ever was a talent show in the basement of Morrison (Residence Hall),” he said.

He said his roots in comedy stemmed from his freshman year at UNC. “I credit the people at Carolina with showing me that it’s something I can actually go out and do.”

Tucker will host two workshops this weekend as a part of the festival. For more information, visit CUAB’s Web site at http://www.unc.edu/cuab.

Contact the A&E Editor at artsdesk@unc.edu.