Church hits 140 years

Celebrates key additions to town history

If asked, the members of First Baptist Church would probably agree: Only God could make a cake large enough to hold 140 candles.

And while the cake wasn’t quite of biblical proportions, food and fun abounded Wednesday evening at the kickoff of the church’s 140th birthday celebration.

The church, at 106 N. Roberson St., held an old-fashioned fish fry to commemorate the anniversary, inviting its own members as well as University Baptist churchgoers.

“We feel this church has a mission to relate to the people,” said Rev. John Manley, a familiar face to First Baptist congregation members since 1946, when he first began delivering sermons at the church.

Catharyne Butler, chairwoman of the church’s board of deacons and a member of First Baptist since 1968, said the institution’s longevity could be attributed to one figure.

“It has to be of God,” she said.

The church has built a rich history in the community during its lifespan.

After it split with University Baptist in 1865, the 65-member congregation met in a schoolhouse on Franklin Street until a permanent facility could be constructed. The church moved to its current location in 1953.

One of the church’s most notable accomplishments, many agreed, was its leadership during the civil rights movement in Chapel Hill.

“During the civil rights movement, our church became a center,” Manley said. “Most of the marches came from our church.”

The reverend also has inked his name into town history. As the first black Chapel Hill Board of Education member, Manley helped to integrate local schools in 1961.

One of the church’s principles throughout its history has been an emphasis on family values, several members agreed.

“Family, that’s the driving force,” said member Carolyn Jefferson, who helped put together the anniversary celebrations.

“This church is like a big sister or brother. It really serves as an anchor for people in Chapel Hill.”

Veora Atwater typifies the family-oriented atmosphere of First Baptist — her grandfather, Louis Hackney, served as the church’s pastor for 60 years.

Atwater, a lifetime member of the church, said some of her favorite memories come from old Sunday school lessons. She can still name several teachers by heart.

“When I think of people like (former teacher) Joan Caldwell, I think of the people that nurtured us, that taught us about God,” Atwater said.

Manley said education is a key element to First Baptist’s continued success.

“You cannot keep up with the changing world if you don’t have some training,” he said.

“A whole lot of growth is going on, and we’re right in the middle of it.”

Manley said he thinks the church’s longevity will help it continue to be a leader in making those changes.

“We’ve been here for 140 years, and we plan to be here another 140,” he said.

Celebrations, including guest sermons, will continue through this week’s Sunday services.