City briefs

No one injured in house fire in Chapel Hill on Wednesday

The Chapel Hill Fire Department responded to a structure fire early Wednesday morning at 119 Mallard Court, according to a department release.

The residence was occupied at the time the fire started, the release states, but all inside were able to escape without injury.

Damage to the property is estimated at $70,000.

According to the release, fire crews arrived and saw no visible fire but did encounter heavy smoke and high heat conditions on the second floor.

The cause of the fire was determined to be electrical in nature.

The incident was under control by 3:20 a.m.

High school students to flex culinary creativity muscles

Some local high school students will get the chance to show off their culinary skills today.

During their lunch period, several East Chapel Hill High School students are participating in their own version of the Food Network’s “Iron Chef.”

Participants will have an hour to prepare two dishes with ingredients provided to them by staff, and their courses will be judged.

The event will be held from noon to 1:30 p.m. in the school’s cafeteria as part of the activities to recognize National Nutrition Month.

Friday is deadline for grants for county schools teachers

Friday is the last day for Orange County Schools teachers to submit applications for mini grants.

The Education Foundation for Orange County Schools is looking for proposals for projects to be funded next year.

Mini grants of up to $500 will be given to selected teachers for activities or projects that enhance the learning experience of students.

Preferred projects include hands-on activities and projects that will elicit student participation.

The foundation is a nonprofit organization focused on supporting services not met by public funds.