City briefs

Rape crisis center to offer plush toys for fund-raiser

The Orange County Rape Crisis Center will offer Beanie Babies in conjunction with area Hallmark stores as a fund-raiser.

The collectible plush toys will be available today at the Hallmark store in Eastgate Shopping Center and on Friday at the University Mall location.

The event is part of the center’s observance of Sexual Assault Awareness Month.

The center offers support groups, sexual abuse prevention education and a 24-hour crisis/response line at 1-866-WE LISTEN.

Double feature to showcase squirrels, documentarians

The Carrboro Recreation and Parks Department will offer a double feature of nature films from 7:30 to 9:30 p.m. Wednesday at the Carrboro Century Center.

“Squirrel Wars” is a 20-minute piece by local filmmaker Diane Bloom looking at local residents enraged by the arboreal rodents’ raids on their bird feeders.

The second film, “The Filmmakers,” is an hourlong ride-along with National Geographic’s daring, globe-trotting filmmakers.

The event costs $3 per person or $8 for a family or group. Groups are limited to six people.

Aldermen to hear case for funding for teen groups

Two local teen organizations, Pa’lante and Youth Creating Change, are seeking support from the Carrboro Board of Aldermen.

Aldermen will hear a presentation from Pa’lante Director Laura Wenzel and receive the groups’ funding requests at their 7:30 p.m. meeting today at Carrboro Town Hall.

Aldermen also will continue a discussion from March 22 on the town’s housing code.

Commissioners to recognize volunteer work tonight

The Orange County Board of Commissioners is recognizing tonight the hard work of volunteers on county advisory boards and commissions.

Commissioners are slated to pass a resolution of appreciation to recognize the 32nd annual National Volunteer Week at their 7:30 p.m. meeting at Southern Human Services Center.

Commissioners also will consider participation in a program aimed at coordinating better transportation in the area.

A public hearing on a five-year public housing agency plan is also on the agenda.