City briefs

Town Council to consider rezoning Carolina North

The Chapel Hill Town Council will discuss again tonight a proposal to rezone the large majority of the future site of the University satellite campus Carolina North.

A proposal to rezone the main portion of the Horace Williams tract from the current Office/Institutional-3 to Office/Institutional-2 was continued from March 21 after extensive discussion netted no apparent consensus.

The rezoning would impact potential development at the site significantly, as OI-2-zoned districts have specific density and building height requirements. Properties zoned under OI-2 also are subject to council approval, and under OI-3, only the planning board must review applications.

Chancellor James Moeser has publicly opposed the proposal, saying it would stall University planning for the 963-acre research park.

Council members will discuss the proposal, submitted by its Horace Williams Citizens Committee, at its regularly scheduled business meeting, which begins at 7 p.m.

The area’s sustainability is subject of local workshop

In the continued efforts to define and promote sustainable aspects of the community, the Chapel Hill-Carrboro Chamber of Commerce will hold its second annual “Sustainability Workshop: Greening our Community, Businesses and Homes” today from noon to 6 p.m.

The workshop, put on for business owners, managers, community members and residential homeowners, will be held at the Aveda Institute at 200 W. Franklin St.