City briefs

Dukes still awaits trial for multiple Chapel Hill thefts

The man who was arrested in November in relation to eight breaking and enterings around Cameron Avenue is still awaiting trial.

Anthony Jerome Dukes, facing 15 felony charges related to breaking and entering and larceny, was scheduled to appear in Orange County Superior Court on Tuesday.

Dukes previously was represented by Public Defender Susan Seahorn, but with her withdrawal from the case, Dukes’ new attorney is Amos Tyndall.

The case has been postponed until May 24 because Tyndall was trying another case in Alamance County.

Dukes was arrested Nov. 10 after he was spotted at 217 Vance St., which was a house he had reportedly broken into a few days earlier.

The break-ins also occurred around Kenan, McCauley, Ransom and Vance streets, in addition to Cameron Avenue.

Police reports state that the amount of goods stolen totaled $23,000. Dukes has been in custody in Orange County Jail since his November arrest.

County rape crisis center seeks summer volunteers

The Orange County Rape Crisis center is looking for volunteers.

The center is accepting applications for summer volunteer training classes, and the deadline is May 9. Training will begin in mid-May.

Volunteers answer the center’s 24-hour crisis/response line and present educational programs.

The organization encourages men and women with diverse backgrounds and experience to apply.

For more information, visit http://www.ocrcc.org.