Classroom volunteers are recognized, honored

It’s a given that young students’ success depends on the contributions of teachers, administrators and parents.

But a group some might call education’s unsung heroes — volunteers — play just as important a role in the classroom.

Those individuals are being recognized for their work in the next few days as part of National Volunteer Week.

“It really does take the whole community to raise successful, confident, educated students,” said Anne D’Annunzio, spokeswoman for Orange County Schools.

“Teachers can’t do it alone.”

County schools now get help from about 750 volunteers, and about 800 people volunteer with Chapel Hill-Carrboro City Schools.

About 30 of those city schools volunteers are part of the APPLES program, a University service-learning program that matches students with service opportunities.

JoAnna Anderson, a junior at the University, is working as a public relations agent for the city school district’s volunteer program through APPLES.

While she initially volunteered because of a class requirement, she said she plans to continue her work after the semester’s end.

“It’s been interesting to see how tough it is for nonprofits to get things done,” Anderson said.

“They really do great things, but it’s hard to see how little they have to work with.”

APPLES Director Jenny Huq said students in the program also work as classroom aides and tutors.

“Classrooms are now bigger, and teachers have less resources,” she said. “If (student volunteers) supplement those resources, it’s not only beneficial to the teachers but also to the volunteers.”

Each APPLES volunteer works three to five hours weekly for 10 weeks a semester.

City school board member Edward Sechrest said he encourages members of the community to get involved with such groups and to help out the schools.

“It’s a rewarding experience. The kids are excited, you leave excited, and you’re really making a difference,” he said.

Volunteer Dorothy Moore shared similar sentiments.

Moore spends about 1 1/2 hours each week listening to first-grade students read at Glenwood Elementary School.

After she retired from the Department of English at UNC, she said, she wanted to do something constructive with her free time.

“You should give back something, even if it’s only an hour a week,” she said.

“They just need you so much in the schools.”

Volunteers also are important for groups like parent-teacher associations, members of the organizations said.

“The more parents you get and the more diversity you get, the more you can really do,” said Jennifer Holzworth, co-president of East Chapel Hill High School’s parent-teacher-student association.

As a co-president, Holzworth plans and runs monthly meetings, coordinates different groups within the association and serves as a liaison among teachers, students and parents.

She spends from two to 20 hours a week doing these duties.

City schools volunteer specialist George Ann McCay said the district is showing its appreciation to volunteers this week with gifts. Schools also are organizing projects for their volunteers.

County schools will recognize their volunteers with a brunch May 10, D’Annunzio said.

The Daily Tar Heel 2024 Graduation Guide