CNN host takes religious spin

Democrats can win national elections if they present the strength and message voters are looking for, a left-leaning CNN commentator said Monday.

Paul Begala presented a new, religion-based spin on Democratic politics in Carroll Hall, providing students and guests with a vision for the 2008 presidential election.

Begala, co-host of the popular political debate program “Crossfire,” spoke Monday night as a guest of the UNC Young Democrats. The event was open to all students and local residents.

Breaking the ice with imitations of his political colleagues, Begala also praised the Tar Heels’ national basketball championship. Audience members responded warmly, laughing and applauding his comments.

Discussing the 2004 presidential election, Begala offered constructive criticism for what he called the “weaknesses of Team Kerry and the Democratic Party.”

“The single biggest thing Democrats have to learn is how to fight — how to fight hard and fair,” he said. “We do that and we have a real shot at winning.”

Begala reflected on John Kerry’s platform, stressing that while Americans wanted change, Kerry needed to be more forceful.

He also suggested that the Democratic candidate needed a more personal touch to his campaign, something beyond strategy.

“We needed a personal story,” Begala said. “Facts tell, but stories sell. We lost the election because we were weak. President Bush’s stance on the issues isn’t popular, but he’s respected.”

Begala then shifted his focus to the future endeavors of the party. Much to the surprise of audience members, he spoke at length on religious principles. He also placed emphasis on communal values.

“Democrats believe Americans are all in this together,” he said. “Truly one nation under God, indivisible. One nation together.”

He criticized what he called widely accepted stereotypes: that Democrats are intellectually superior and that Republicans dominate moral issues. He pulled out a worn testament and read from the Book of Acts, suggesting that religion could help revitalize his party.

“The solution is in promoting more religious values,” he said. “The whole reason I am a Democrat is because of the way of I view the world because of my faith.”

Begala’s ultimate message reflected a strong focus on a new way to humanize Democratic politics.

Dave and Jan Cidor, both Chapel Hill residents, praised Begala’s message.

“He doesn’t see politics as a blood sport but a natural part of life, an honorable profession,” Dave said. “We were so impressed.”

Blakely Whilden, co-president of the Young Democrats, said she was pleased by the group’s efforts. “Just getting him here meant so much.”

Contact the State & National Editor at stntdesk@unc.edu.