Coalition can do more

Several student leaders, both the old guard and new blood, highlighted the importance of reaching beyond campus boundaries at last week’s student government inauguration.

Yet some of those same leaders are questioning recent student efforts to form relationships with members of the state legislature.

Former Student Body President Matt Calabria created an advocacy group last year to engage students beyond student government in lobbying efforts. The Student University Advocacy Coalition, originally and informally still referred to the Carolina Lobby Corps, emerged from student government to become a separate entity.

Students in SUAC took to Raleigh to lobby last summer. But as the year progressed, student government found itself responsible for more and more of the group’s advocacy duties.

“It definitely took a different course than we expected, but ultimately SUAC’s role went back to the student government,” Calabria said.

The Calabria administration chose to make SUAC an independent entity in order to separate student government from particular stances on political or educational issues.

This separation allowed student government the appearance of objectivity, but it also left the coalition with less guidance from the start, causing some student officials to become dissatisfied with the group’s efforts.

While the group did not accomplish all of its tasks, including scheduling a seminar on lobbying this semester, it effectively complemented the UNC Association of Student Governments’ efforts to increase student presence in Raleigh, said Charlie Anderson, former speaker of Student Congress.

Ashley Castevens, chairwoman of the coalition, said the organization had some successes during its first year.

“With anything, it’s hard to start something new and ambitious like this because its hard to accomplish everything,” she said in response to criticism of the group. “It has definitely been a learning process.”

Castevens noted that students made a point to first work with UNC’s allies in the legislature when lobbying issues and that they went to bat on important University issues — including tuition increases, the enrollment cap and budget cuts.

“Our lobbying has definitely been beneficial in trying to keep tuition low,” she said.

Castevens noted that the coalition can tackle more issues next year through improved communication, especially with other executive branch officials.

Student Body President Seth Dearmin said the organization needs passionate students to serve as liaisons. Applications to lead SUAC, along with those to sit on Dearmin’s Cabinet, are due April 15.

The student leaders questioning efforts the coalition made this year still agree on the group’s importance and the possibilities it could access.

“It’s important to have a group of students to make sure people in Raleigh are focused and know about issues that students at UNC feel are important,” Dearmin said.