Congress approves new crop of leaders

Executive branch ?lls outside posts

Two dozen student government appointees were approved at Tuesday’s Student Congress meeting with a monotonous chorus of “I think the ayes have it” from Speaker Luke Farley.

Though Congress members expressed a few concerns, the executive branch’s 24 external appointments were approved without opposition.

“Each of the different positions has different qualifications, but we want people who will represent the student body in a really supportive way,” said Student Body Vice President Adrian Johnston.

The appointments included positions on the Student Supreme Court, Student Fee Audit Committee and the Student Advisory Committee to the Chancellor.

Johnston said the appointments mark Student Body President Seth Dearmin’s interest in grassroots student government.

“We want to reach out and get different perspectives and not just have the same people in student government and on the committees as there always have been,” he said. “We wanted to really get away from that.”

Many appointees said they will strive to supply these unique perspectives.

“We can be the intermediate between the student body, the rural community and the Christian community, which I represent,” said Jennifer Reardon, who was appointed to serve on the chancellor’s advisory committee. “I hope to address the hot topics that Carolina’s facing with new perspectives.”

Although Johnston was responsible for the initial search for and selection of appointees, his candidates first had to garner approval from a Congress committee and then from the entire body.

The appointees are confident in their credentials. Kelly Short, a freshman appointed to both the associate justice post and to the student legal services board of directors, said she feels qualified for her positions.

“I’ve always had a strong passion for law, and I carried student government positions in high school,” she said. “I have the responsibility, passion and dedication, and I will try to be fair and open-minded.”

The new student government members have many goals for their positions and their interactions with Congress.

“(The Student Supreme Court) will be putting restrictions on their power to make sure they are working within their rights and in the cases that come before us,” Short said. “We will be upholding the laws that they’ve passed.”

Freshman Matt Hendren, appointed to the chancellor’s advisory committee, said he aims to aid race relations on campus.

“I don’t think there is necessarily enough sharing of cultures,” he said. “This is the time in their lives when students are supposed to be learning about people other than themselves, and if you don’t do it now, you’re not going to do it for the rest of your life.”

Johnston said Congress was looking for high-caliber individuals from different organizations, and he believes the body found them.

“Amazing people apply for these positions,” he said. “I’m really excited about the great work they’re going to do in the next year.”