DEDC moves to plan summer series

Online exclusive

Wednesdays in downtown Chapel Hill could get livelier if a group’s recommendations for a summer concert series get a warm reception.

The Summer Events Advisory Committee mulled over a draft plan Monday, rehashing a possible event schedule and getting specific about what kinds of vendors could participate.

If the Downtown Economic Development Corporation — the series’ new sponsor — accepts the schedule, a June 15 concert would kick off the events. The series would culminate with a “major event” at the Hargraves Center athletic fields Aug. 13.

Although events have been held on Thursday in past summers, committee members say that a move to Wednesday would provide an alternative to Thursday events at Weaver Street Market in Carrboro and elsewhere.

“Wednesday’s an over-the-hump night,” said committee member Mary Jo Stone.

The schedule would see nine weeks of entertainment overall downtown. Committee members cut two events at the beginning of June to have adequate time to plan the series.

Start and stop times for the concerts — which are tentatively set at both McCorkle Place and parking lot 5, across the street from University Square — drew much conversation.

Committee member Robert Humphreys shared with fellow members some advice he’s learned from personal experience. During concerts with his band, he said, time could get precious or stale quickly on any given night.

“Some nights, I’d say, ‘Man, I wish we could play another hour,’” Humphreys said. “But some nights, we’d say, ‘Is this ever going to end?’”

Some members suggested that ending the event at 9 p.m. would provide concertgoers a chance to hit Franklin Street and visit downtown merchants.

In addition to concerts, the committee has tentatively scheduled movie showings every other week, but motioned Monday to further investigate what venues would be suitable for the events.

Humphreys said he thinks a proposal to hold some of the showings at McCorkle would be afflicted with some impediments such as limited visibility because of trees.

“McCorkle’s really not a good place to show a movie,” he said. “It’s problematic.”

The committee also will recommend that vendors sell only food, not alcohol, at the events.

The corporation has been kicking around the idea of hosting this year’s installment of the series since March, when Emily Dickens, assistant to Mayor Kevin Foy, presented a proposal to the group.

Until this year, the Downtown Commission had hosted the events.

The committee will present its final recommendations to the corporation April 27.